bolle sunglasses

• cweber01

I know there have been several posts regarding sunglasses lately…sorry to add another one. I tried on a few pairs of bolle shades yesterday and they had some that were very comfortable and actually fit me. has anyone had them before? they are in the price range that I was looking to spend. I’ve tried on a ton of glasses, but haven’t found any that fit as good as the bolle. will I be happy with them for fishing?

drakesdemise
    Residing in St. Paul, MN doing weekly travel throughout the five state Upper Midwest

I have worn exclusively Bolle polorized for years and have been very happy
    Make sure that you get nose pads though for those long hot days fishing.
    Good luck
    cheers

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

I have a pair that I wear everyday. I got them from my eye doctor after lasik surgery. I really like the rubber infused in the nose and ear piece, keep the glasses where they need to be when sweating on those hot days.

Jami

drakesdemise
    Residing in St. Paul, MN doing weekly travel throughout the five state Upper Midwest

Kind of ironic, I sent a pair into Bolle customer service this mormning, because the rubberized nose pad ripped/peeled.
    We will see how their customers service performs
    cheers

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

let me know what they come back with. Mine is peeling a little as well.

Jami

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I used to wear Bolle glasses because my buddy could get them for me at a substantially reduced price. They were comfortable and I liked them, but after about a year and a half, the lenses would start to get cloudy because the coating would wear off in places. Also, don’t get salt water on them as that will take the coating off RIGHT NOW. I went back to glass lenses and am much happier.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

I used to wear Bolle glasses because my buddy could get them for me at a substantially reduced price. They were comfortable and I liked them, but after about a year and a half, the lenses would start to get cloudy because the coating would wear off in places. Also, don’t get salt water on them as that will take the coating off RIGHT NOW. I went back to glass lenses and am much happier.

I’ll have to watch for the coating issue. Was just in the salt water for a week with them on, no issues yet.

Jami

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Quote:

They were comfortable and I liked them, but after about a year and a half, the lenses would start to get cloudy because the coating would wear off in places.

I had the same problem. I’ll never buy another pair. I’ve been buying Smith and couldn’t be happier.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I have a pair of Bolle’. I got them maybe 10-15 years ago (they have Greg LeMonds name on them, so you know they are old ) I don’t wear them a whole lot, but they sure have some pretty orange/red lenses. This post will probably make me find them and give them a try I have never wore them fishing before, I usually wear Oakleys.

big G

VSRangerMan
    Chippewa Falls,WI

I have purchased a couple of the Bolle Vigilante shades in the last 5-6 years & they are very comfortable.The only glasses I could find in a full wrap shade that allows me a prescription lense.The rubber on the nose piece & bows tends to get real soft & gummy after a couple years use.Leading to them coming off.If I could find another brand shade that has a full wrap in prescription I would give them a try. Until then I guess the Bolle is the shade of choice for me.

drakesdemise

Quote:

let me know what they come back with. Mine is peeling a little as well.

Jami

It took some time, but I now have a brand new pair of Bolle polarized.
    They desided to replace mine rather than repair them.
    Bushnell apparently owns Bolle. I did not know that until the new ones showed up.
    These actually fir nicer than the originals and they seem to have improved the rubber nose pads and added pads to the bow ends.
    Good luck.
    cheers

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Quote:

They were comfortable and I liked them, but after about a year and a half, the lenses would start to get cloudy because the coating would wear off in places.

I finally found a pair of sunglasses that were polarized and fit great…..they are Bolle’s. I have had them for a couple years now and I like them a lot. One thing that did happen though is I had the inside anti-reflective coat start to wear off the inside of them. It started in Hawaii, so either some sand on the beach or the salt water started it in addition to cleaning them with whatever I have available at the time (t-shirt). Anyways….I was about to send them in to have the lenses replaced and decided to try to fix them myself before doing that or buying new ones.

I posted this on another site……

Quote:

A few days ago I got fed up with my sunglasses as they were very foggy/scratched and I just could not stand it any longer. I searched the internet for a fix for my issue as I really did not want to drop a decent amount of money to buy the same exact set of Bolle’s again.

The issue: The inside of the lens of my sunglasses had a bunch of tiny scratches (from not cleaning correctly) and it appeared that on a few areas of the lens a coating of some sort had been scratched/worn away a little. This was the blue/purple coating you see on the inside of the lens. The scratches in this coating were making everything blury. From searching online it appears this is an anti-reflective coating and it can be removed without harming the lens. The outside of my polarized lenses did not have any scratches even though they had always been cleaned the same way.

Solution: I went and purchased a small bottle of Armour Etch from Michaels. This is a glass etching agent that wont affect polycarbonate lenses. I removed the lenses from the frames and then per the instructions online I spread the Armour Etch over the inside surface of the lenses and let it sit for 5 minutes. Once 5 min was up I rinsed them off very well and then then washed them with dish soap and rinsed again.

I put them back together and the glasses are like new and perfectly clear again, minus the anti-reflective coating which really doesn’t seem to affect me very much. You may get a small reflection once in a while, but it is not really noticeable at all. From my reading this does not affect the UV rating of the polycarbonate lenses and it did not affect the polarization.

Use at your own risk……it worked for my polarized polycarbonate lenses on my Bolle’s.

DO NOT USE ON GLASS LENSES, YOU WILL RUIN THEM.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I’ll have to give that a try. I’ve got two old pairs of Bolle’s laying around that are cloudy from the inside coating getting messed up. Maybe I can revitalize them for backups.

up01567

Quote:

Quote:

I finally found a pair of sunglasses that were polarized and fit great…..they are Bolle’s. I have had them for a couple years now and I like them a lot. One thing that did happen though is I had the inside anti-reflective coat start to wear off the inside of them. It started in Hawaii, so either some sand on the beach or the salt water started it in addition to cleaning them with whatever I have available at the time (t-shirt). Anyways….I was about to send them in to have the lenses replaced and decided to try to fix them myself before doing that or buying new ones.

I posted this on another site……

Quote:

A few days ago I got fed up with my sunglasses as they were very foggy/scratched and I just could not stand it any longer. I searched the internet for a fix for my issue as I really did not want to drop a decent amount of money to buy the same exact set of Bolle’s again.

The issue: The inside of the lens of my sunglasses had a bunch of tiny scratches (from not cleaning correctly) and it appeared that on a few areas of the lens a coating of some sort had been scratched/worn away a little. This was the blue/purple coating you see on the inside of the lens. The scratches in this coating were making everything blury. From searching online it appears this is an anti-reflective coating and it can be removed without harming the lens. The outside of my polarized lenses did not have any scratches even though they had always been cleaned the same way.

Solution: I went and purchased a small bottle of Armour Etch from Michaels. This is a glass etching agent that wont affect polycarbonate lenses. I removed the lenses from the frames and then per the instructions online I spread the Armour Etch over the inside surface of the lenses and let it sit for 5 minutes. Once 5 min was up I rinsed them off very well and then then washed them with dish soap and rinsed again.

I put them back together and the glasses are like new and perfectly clear again, minus the anti-reflective coating which really doesn’t seem to affect me very much. You may get a small reflection once in a while, but it is not really noticeable at all. From my reading this does not affect the UV rating of the polycarbonate lenses and it did not affect the polarization.

Use at your own risk……it worked for my polarized polycarbonate lenses on my Bolle’s.

DO NOT USE ON GLASS LENSES, YOU WILL RUIN THEM.

Even with tender care that inside coating will get very fine scratches. It is amazing how accurate the year and a half time frame is as I’ve had two pair of the same Bolle sunglass and each got foggy after about this time. However, I am just back from AC Moore with my bottle of Armour etch and WOW I feel like I have two brand new pairs of sunglasses. Thanks for the post.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.