Showdown vs Humminbird vs MarCum

• xtabo
    Edmonton, Alberta

So.. this may be a heated topic but I am looking for all honesty here, good or bad!
    I run the Showdown and I do love the fact that it is vertical, response time is fast and the seperation is bar-none. But the buttons freeze and stick and cold weather fishing is almost not possible.
    Ive used a MarCum and it was harder to get used to read… however it was a lower end model.
    I know In Depth is using MarCum and it seems they are just as or more accurate.
    I am just looking for some insite and options for 2010.
    How are the Humminbird?
    Thanks Fellas

nick
    Lakeville, MN

WEll I haven’t used the bird or the showdown, but the marcum being hard to read isn’t much of an issue I think, if you spend some time with one it’s a total nonissue, it’s just that you are not used to it.

There are several reviews on all these units, and a nice comaparison James did on the bird.

Still from everything I read Marcum seem to still be on top, I like mine a lot, I have an older lx3, without the red green yellow, mine has yellow orange and red, at first I thought it was not as nice as the FL-18 because of the colors, but I’ve used mine so much, I can tell the colors apart without thinking, really it doesn’t matter anyways, of course the new marcums come with better colors now, it a change for the better, but I wouldn’t buy a new unit because of it.

No different really than if I used a showdown, I would bother me until I got used to the vertical display.

josh_hanson
    S.E. Minnesota

I have no experience with the Humminbird units, but I have used a Zercom, FL8, Showdown, X67c, and LX5. The LX5 is by far the best of the units I have used. If you do any fishing with other flashers near by, the LX5 is the way to go to avoid interference issues. I currently use the X67c, which has suited my needs very well, but I plan on upgrading to the LX5 after using a friend’s for the day. The best way to find out what flasher you like is to go fishing with a group of friends that have different units and test them out.

masemlin
    Fountain City, WI

I bought a Humminbird this year and have been very pleased with it. The model I bought was the ICE35 which is on the bottom side of the models Humminbird has out. If you step up to the next model you get a digital screen, with 3 color display. With its large knobs and easy to read flat screen, it is very user friendly.

I have fished with it next to an FL-18, and an LX-5, and have not had any problems as far as interferece goes. I have also noticed the unit is quieter then other untis are. You don’t have to listen to the hum of the unit running.

I have used it all winter and have not had it freeze up, even on the coldest of days. The battery life is great in these situtations as well.

When buying a flasher you should look at what applications you are going to use it for and that will help you get the correct unit.

xtabo
    Edmonton, Alberta

That is one thing that I love about the Showdown, it does not have any noise at all. It is extremely quiet and accurate, finding walleye belly in the mud is possible.
    I havent been able to find many folks that use the Showdown compared to other units, I know a lot is preference but just looking at what other guys think of their units. At our tackle shops the guys sellin em dont even use them so they are going off what the box says.
    But thanks guys.

cdn
    West Central, MN

After owning MarCum LX-3 and LX-5 (and Vexilar)….I do know you couldn’t tear the LX-5 from my hands. Quiet, reliable and by far the best performance package of flashers I’ve ever seen. The best target seperation, very user friendly and all the features you need!

I really can’t comment on the Showdown, and since they are not a flasher, and I wouldn’t compare one to a MarCum, Vexilar or Humminbird. Kind of a league of their own IMO.

The Humminbirds are finicky, and the need for all the modes for certain depths trying to pick up a small lure. I’m not impressed with this package, and I think some improvements need to be made in the future. James made a great product overview on the Humminbird some time ago, I’d take a peek at what he wrote…my feelings mimic his.

xtabo
    Edmonton, Alberta

how is a Showdown not a flasher? Its just digital instead of being analog like the rest of them…
    I guess ill just have to see what comes up next year and decide from there, if the Showdowns kinks are worked out Ill probably buy another Showdown… a color screen would be nice but needed.. thanks anyhow guys.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.