Lowrance networking questions?

• johnksully
    Lakeville, MN

I have decided to break down and buy a new 520c for the counsel in my tiller boat. I currently have a 332c that I will move to the bow. According to Lowrance’s website these two units can be linked. I have a few questions about how the LowranceNet system works.

-Can I run these 2 units off the same LGC-2000 antenna?

-Can I run these 2 units off the same transducer? Can I run the 332c on the bow off a second transducer from the Minnkota and switch between the 2 transducers?

If I’m understanding these networking stuff correctly I think I will only need to buy a couple “t’s” and some extension cables. Am I correct? Or is there a simpler way to network these 2 units? Thanks guys!

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Yes you can run them both off the same antenna, you’ll need to adapt to the proper network, Like an red to blue adaptor for that.

or for GPS alone I’m probably look into doing it under the nmea0183 standart and not buying any cables, but that doesn’t work for anything but sharing the gps…

You cannot share the transducer over the network. There are ways to swap them around and such, I’m not too well versed on those options, I’m sure someone will chime in.

wallgeye
    Richfield, MN

Quote:

-Can I run these 2 units off the same LGC-2000 antenna?

Yes, you will need to set up a network backbone (collection of T’s, cables and terminators) You have 2 choices here, a Red connector or a blue connector network. There are adaptors to fit red to blue, blue to red and be careful to get correct male or female connector arrangement, I think there are 4 choices of gender and color arrangements. Just need to make sure the adaptor will mate to the connector on the back of you sonar. If you use the LGC2000 you will need a blue to red adapter cable for the 520, assuming you have the 2000 connected already. You will also need to remove the Y cable from the 2000 puck. If memory serves me correctly, the setup you have is what mine was, a 332c with the LGC2000, the gps has a self terminating network cable on it that needs to be removed and a series of T connectors and terminators at the ends of the runs installed between the units.

Quote:

-Can I run these 2 units off the same transducer? Can I run the 332c on the bow off a second transducer from the Minnkota and switch between the 2 transducers?

Sort of, you need a transducer switch box to do this with the 332c in the system. I think what you would need to do is have a switchbox set up to feed the bow or stern unit and set it to whatever unit you wanted to view, if you wanted to use the trolling motor transducer you would need to unplug the cable from the switchbox and connect the cable from the trolling motor. If you had two 520’s (or any combination of newer units with the yellow connection on the back) you could run the yellow ethernet cable between the two units and the ethernet expansion port and you could see the same sonar information on both units and share GPS and share waypoints.

The most you can hope for currently is to share GPS signal and sharing of waypoints with only the lowrancenet.

Hope this helps!

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

I don’t know about 332 and haven’t looked to see if it has ethernet capability, but I’m looking to network and sharing 1 ducer between a 27 and 520. I was told by Wade I’d need to run a ethernet cable between the units to share 1 ducer.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Wade’s got it right.
    You need the ethernet cable because of the vast amount of data being transferred from sonar. At least thats the way I understood it when I was looking into it last year.

In the end, I finally decided that I was better off with two transducers. One for each unit. If one goes out on you, you always have the other one at least.

johnksully
    Lakeville, MN

The reason I wanted to run both units off one transducer is so that I could use the 332 on the bow when the trolling motor isn’t in the water. Maybe I will just scratch that idea and use the transducer in my Minnkota.

I guess the only networking I will need to do is to run both the units off the one antenna. Does anyone know where I can get a list or figure out what ext. cables, t-connectors, etc. I will need?

Thanks guys!

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

PM sent.

johnksully
    Lakeville, MN

I’m looking for a blue 15 or 22 foot extension cable. Does anyone have one they would like to sell?

NowVoayger
    Alexandria, Va

Quote:

I guess the only networking I will need to do is to run both the units off the one antenna. Does anyone know where I can get a list or figure out what ext. cables, t-connectors, etc. I will need?

Thanks guys!

you will need three “T” connectors. Two terminators.
    one blue to red adapter cable. One 2ft extention cable.
    I would think two 15′ extention cables, depending on
    how far or close the gps antenna is to a unit. If real close
    it may not need a cable or maybe just a two foot cable.
    Check Lowrance LEI extras, red network, for all the
    parts. They can be purchased elsewhere also.
    If you are using a lgc 2000 antenna you will need an
    additional blu/red adapter cable for that.

Suggest you plan it out so you don’t end up with more
    parts than you need, it adds up!!

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Again IMHO I’d run some plain wire and wire in the NMEA0183 to share the antenna, $5 worth of wire. Wade had a really nice post on how to do it, you should be able to find it in search, if you can’t find it and want to do it that way, let me know I’ll search it up for you, last time I looked it took sometime to find.

You can’t share waypoint over the NMEA0183, but you can always do it with a sd card.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

Again IMHO I’d run some plain wire and wire in the NMEA0183 to share the antenna, $5 worth of wire. Wade had a really nice post on how to do it, you should be able to find it in search, if you can’t find it and want to do it that way, let me know I’ll search it up for you, last time I looked it took sometime to find.

You can’t share waypoint over the NMEA0183, but you can always do it with a sd card.

I believe this is the old post you are referring to Nick.

NMEA Post – click here

johnksully
    Lakeville, MN

I think I have this set up the right way now. I found a blue ext. cable on ebay.

The “t” on the far right is where my lgc-2000 antenna will come in. The middle “t” has the blue to red adapter cable to go to my 520. Then my ext. cable will go from the middle “t” to the one on the left at the bow. The “t” on the far left will have a blue to blue cable to go to my 332.

Anyone see any problems??

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Looks good John!!

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Are you using 2 60ohm terminators? Then you’re good.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Quote:

Are you using 2 60ohm terminators? Then you’re good.

Hi Nick,

Are you sure it’s not 120 ohm terminators.

I thought it was one 60 with the Y cable and two 120’s if you expand the network using T’s.

Dan

johnksully
    Lakeville, MN

The guy in the boating department at Cabela’s told me to use 120 ohm terminators. That’s what I will be using. As soon as I get my ext. cords I’ll post the results.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Whoops my bad, I kept thinking about it right right 2 120’a or 1 60 Doesn’t matter how you get it, you just need 60 ohms.

Back to my cave

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.