ice shelter lighting

• Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

Just wondering what you guys use and like for lighting an ice shack? I have used Coleman lanterns but hate the fumes. I was wondering if there were any good battery powered lights that work well in the cold and don’t require me to haul a 12-volt car battery to use.

Thanks,
    Dave

drakesdemise
    Residing in St. Paul, MN doing weekly travel throughout the five state Upper Midwest

Get some 12v LED potted lights or ropes and a lawn tractor/wheel chair battery.
    Very low power consumption with the LEDs.
    I still have 2 12v 60w lamps in the house that I turn on when changing jigs or landing fish.
    Turn them of when not needed and save on power
    Work great.
    Good luck
    cheers

muskyman
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

My wife picked up a Coleman that was along this style. We use it when we go camping and it is nice because your not burning through batteries all the time, just plug it in for awhile and your good to go.

Coleman lantern

cshunt1
    Eagan, MN

have you tried a propane lantern? i dont notice any fumes from mine.

i have used a lantern northstar for a couple years now. its a great setup imo. even at half power, it lights up my shack well.

mrwalleye
    MN

Northern Tool has a great 72 LED light that has 3 magnets on the back and runs on 4 AA batteries
    The one I have is on about 12 hours on the first set of batteries and is still blinding bright

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

Finally a half day off from fishing and I can catch up on important info… great question and posts… where can the Northern Lighting strip be purchased… I can use rechargeable batteries . I use strap on head lights now , but they are fine for me but don’t help others especially night fishing. Now when I move the lights on my head move.

mjnl
    Rochester, MN

I bought these rope, LED lights at the Scheels store in Mankato. They were on sale for $9.99. I wish I would have found them before I bought a set of Clam lights at 3X the price . I run them off of my flasher or camera battery and haven’t had any problems. http://www.scheelssports.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10101&categoryId=41657&productId=85487&productName=Ice+Shelter+Rope+Light

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Santa bought me this, haven’t used it yet but it adjusts from flood to narrow beam light. Very light….runs on 4 AAs

johnie1610
    Eau Claire, WI

I use a coleman battery lantern about 22 bucks at walmart. It has a 15 watt cfl light bulb and unbelievably bright. It slides together so packing it in is easy. Very useful for year round fishing we throw it in the boat for P4 night excursions. Only downfall is 8 D batteries but i have had mine for 2 yrs now and haven’t changed them yet.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I made the same post earlier this year. I decided to go with a head lamp. Works great and always have light where you look. Works great for up close use as well ( Tying line and hooking minnows.)

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

Thanks for all the info. It gives me plenty of options to consider. I am leaning towards the LED style lighting but like the idea of general lighting that I don’t have to wear on my head.

Thanks again and I will try to post an update on what I end up with and how well it works.

Dave

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.