ice shack

• kingcabelas
    Hudson, WI

Merry Xmas/Happy holidays to all. I hope the fishing gods look kindly on all of ya’ll this year. I have a question. I got myself an Eskimo Quick Fish III ice shelter this year and was wondering if anyone on here has this shelter of has used it, and how did you like it. I wanted a one-man, flip shelter but my old man thought this one would be better for me. Any reviews or comments on this shelter would be greatly appreciated. I might keep it instead of getting a flip shelter if others have good things to say about it. Thanks.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Saw one of those at the Marcum challange. They sure do set up quick. Looked like lots of room inside also. Not sure what you would need to do to prep the snow/ice under it. On clean ice or little snow it shouldnt be a problem. Its where there is lots of snow I wonder how it would work if there was water coming up on the ice. You may be fishing in a slush pile or if you clear the snow away it may just be a puddle. It will be interesting to hear if this is a real problem or not.

Another issue with them may be in the wind. What are the anchors like that they come with? Sure would hate to see one get away from a person on a windy day. Well, that might be kinda funny except for the person trying to chase it down.

Let us know how it works for you. Over all I thought it looked real interesting and its always great to see new products on the market.

minnesotsakid
    ROCHESTER

Have had one for a few weeks now. It works great. It sets up easy and you can anchor it down before ever setting up. (floor tabs in the corners) It has 6 inch T-handle anchors that work mint. And a sinch strap to an ice anchor on the outside facing the wind. Its a great “PORTABLE” shack being very light and easy to store in the included back pack. Great Shack for two guys I have had three once and worked ok.

minnesotsakid
    ROCHESTER

Quote:

Saw one of those at the Marcum challange. They sure do set up quick. Looked like lots of room inside also. Not sure what you would need to do to prep the snow/ice under it. On clean ice or little snow it shouldnt be a problem. Its where there is lots of snow I wonder how it would work if there was water coming up on the ice. You may be fishing in a slush pile or if you clear the snow away it may just be a puddle. It will be interesting to hear if this is a real problem or not.

I used a truck bed liner to lay on ice and we have a tank mount Mr. Heater and have had no water or slush problems. Never did with out the liner either just got a little icy.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

My first impression was, nah not for me, but talking to some people I actually think I may look into one of these in the future, lightweight and roomy I hear if you anchor them down (which is suppose to be really easy, you’ll have a nice shack setup quickly. Lots of people seemed to like them too as spear shacks. I like my sled style, but it is heavy and a bit cumbersome and usually I don’t setup until I find a spot I want to fish, then I’m not so inclined to move much more, so really it would probably be just as good as my flip over but lighter an roomier.

kingcabelas
    Hudson, WI

thanks to all for the quick and helpful responses. I think I may just give this shelter a try. The first couple times I set it up in my basement it was a bit tricky for me, but once you get the hang of it, it does go up pretty quick. Inside there is plenty of room, easily fits two guys. Seeing how I usually fish by myself down at school, it is more than enough for myself and is relatively light to carry. Thanks again.

ryno

Are you following the instruction to set it up? Roof first?
    If you are there is even a faster/easier way to set it up.
    From the inside!
    It is easier to show you in person but I will try to explain….
    With the shack on the floor in the fully down and colapsed position find one of the ice skirts. Square up that wall and pop it. Now your roof hub should be on top of the rest. Grab the rod next to the hub and stand up and pop the roof. Your remaining three walls should just kinda fall and pop those out… done. Fastest time UP and DOWN 7.5 sec.
    Take down.. three walls, your roof , and the last wall.

Your close to the Sportsman’s in Woodbury. Any of the guys in the fishing dept. would be happy to show you.
    Also if it is windy.. screw an ice anchor in first and tie it into the first wall (into the wind) before you start popping walls. Otherwise it is just a big kite, Yeeehaaaa!

channelcatben
    South Minneapolis

I got a Clam Base Camp for Christmas. It’s pretty similar, from what I’ve seen.

Setup is easy. It’s a lot like a couple deer blinds I’ve hunted from… just bigger and warmer.

I like it because it’s bigger than my flipover when set up, and smaller when taken down. It fits in my car and on my gear sled. As for the floor: my flipover doesn’t have a floor, either. My feet are still in the snow. I will probably end up taking some mats for my feet, which I think will be okay.

kingcabelas
    Hudson, WI

I got out and tried the new shack this past weekend. It worked like a champ. Went out on the St. Croix and there was a little wind so all I had to do was use a couple of the ice screws it came with before I actually popped open any of the hubs. Went up smoothly and came down even quicker. Plenty of room in there for me too. Was able to get a nice little set up with two holes for fishin and a middle hole for the AquaVu. Thanks to all for the input on this shack. Even though I have only used it a couple times so far I would recommend it to anyone looking for a new portable shack right now.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.