Ice Armor X Gloves Review

• Targa01
    Grand Rapids MN Area

The wife gave me some IceArmor-X gloves as an early x-mas gift. I used them a couple of times plowing on the ATV and they worked just fine but yesterday I used them for the first time ice fishing. I noticed after brushing some snow off the drivers door window on the truck that threads started to stick out and they already started to look ‘fuzzy’ with all the loose material sticking out. So that was the first issue I had with them. Once I finally got set up fishing I decided to check a few holes with the camera for weed growth, fish, etc. Well after sliding the camera down 12-15′ in 3 holes I noticed some dampness coming through my glove that was holding the cable. Well by the forth hole the glove was froze solid and my hand was getting cold. So my first exerpiences with these have been less than favorable. Maybe I expected to much but for $40 and supposed to be built for ice fishing they would perform a little better.

What has your experiences been with these?

DSchuh
    Golden, CO

I just picked up a pair yesterday, hopefully I have a little more favorable experience. I will give them a try and let everyone know.

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

I got some Ice Armor gloves last year, they should be the same ones. I love them. I was able to stick my arm down the hole to above my wrists and no water got through. Sure they froze up, but that will happen with any glove. Maybe you got a bad pair, return them, because i give them a

dan-tessmann
    Kieler, Wis

i also have the mittens and i think they work good. they do seem to freeze up but happens. as for keeping warm i never had a problem. if its really cold out ill throw a hand warmer in them. you probally got a bad pair in my opinion.

cshunt1
    Eagan, MN

im with joe and JD. those gloves are some of the best waterproof gloves ive ever owned. ive stuck my hand in after monsters and have never gotten a cold hand as a result. i think that you might have gotten a bad unit.

ive had mine for 3 years now and have never had a problem at all. you might want to contact the clam corp. they stand behind their products. i put a cut in my ice armor bibs and they sent me out a few patch peices of fabric for free within 3 days of my initial email.

Targa01
    Grand Rapids MN Area

Thanks for the input guys. Just by looking at the gloves I can not see any defects that would cause the issue with the gloves not being “water resistance”. They are actually still damp inside today and a friend at work (who also ice fishes a lot) tried them on and noticed moisture still inside and I hadn’t said anything to him about it at that point. The area I’m speaking that got wet was the palm of the hand. I guess I could try getting another pair and see if they are better. The thread issue on the back of the hand kind of bugs me anyways.

Thanks again.

birddog
    Mn.

Quote:

What has your experiences been with these?

I bought a pair last year, they’ve been in the closet since. I used them 2-3 times, hands got damp with the slightest splash of water, no dextarity…they feel and perform just like any other glove of the same thickness/style only a guy can pick up other brands for 1/4 the price. A few buds own them as well, I don’t think anyone is overly impressed…except one, he thinks everything he owns is the greatest.

BIRDDOG

ron_w_basser2
    North Central, MN

I got a pair last year and they seemed to leak a tad also. Not real bad, but I did notice a little dampness on the inside. I didn’t even have them in the water, just pulling my camera cord up and down.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I have a pair that I use for plowing snow on the ATV. worked 17 hours on Friday and ended up having to stop using the gloves after a while. Not because they were wet, but my hands were sweating because they were too warm. I like them overall. I got them on sale for $25, so that makes me like them more.

Targa01
    Grand Rapids MN Area

Quote:

I have a pair that I use for plowing snow on the ATV. worked 17 hours on Friday and ended up having to stop using the gloves after a while. Not because they were wet, but my hands were sweating because they were too warm. I like them overall. I got them on sale for $25, so that makes me like them more.

I’ve used them a few times for plowing and I stayed very warm but then again my hands never really get cold no matter what gloves while plowing.

But once your gloves get wet it’s pretty much all over with from there which seems to be the issue I’m having.

Thanks again for you input.

ps. I should add that I bought my father-in-law the ‘regular’ short ice armor gloves and they seemed to be a nicer glove than the newer X-gloves.

troutsrus
    Lytton Iowa

My son and I both have a new pair. I have been very impressed so far. They seem to be the warmest gloves that I have ever owned.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

I have a couple of pairs of ice armor gloves, and they are nice- my favorite pair of gloves are north face gloves that are really bulky- they are just that much warmer, and they are indestructible!!!

chomps
    Sioux City IA

had the regular ice armor going on the third year now. Have not had one issue while fishing, even clean out the stray slush in the holes and they have never leaked through.

fearnofish82
    Warroad/LOTW

I have a pair of the original mittens and they are great…as long as they are not near water or get wet. They aren’t even a little water-resistant, and when they get wet they will take over a day to dry out on their own.

The way they soak up water they would probally make a good shammy.

DSchuh
    Golden, CO

Got my new pair of Ice Armor Gloves out on the ice today. Have to say I was impressed w/ the pair I’ve got. After reading this post, I went of of my way to get the glove all of the way into the minnow bucket, in the hole after a couple smallies, and other tasks I usually stray away from with gloves on. Didn’t have any leaks, gloves were very warm all day. From the sounds of it, I’d agree with some of the other guys and say you got a faulty pair.

Targa01
    Grand Rapids MN Area

Well I was suprised to see how mixed the replies were. My experiences have been like a few where they just don’t shed any water. I did a little test at home by putting a glove on, giving it a quick splash of water under the facet and have a piece of tissue paper in the glove to show if there is any dampness. Well it was easy to feel and the tissue paper showed the moisture went right into the glove. I wore them yesterday fishing and again the cable from the camera was enough to get the palm wet all the way through. I’m going to check and see about sending them in and hopefully see if the next pair are better. And like others have stated they seem to absorb right in and take forever to dry out.

I’m not out to bash the product but get a sense of others experiences. I will let you know how the customer service thing goes and if I get a new pair up date if they are any better.

I appreciate all the feedback.

Targa01
    Grand Rapids MN Area

Here’s an update as promised. I emailed Clam a while back and received a reply tonight which I will paste below. I explained what was happening and if I could send them in for exchange or if there were any options. I was pleasantly suprised and the reply says it all about their customer service.

Big thanks to Mindy from Clam Corp.

Mike,

Thank you for your inquiry and I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. We are answering all requests in the order in which they are received.

I am sorry to hear about your gloves, we can for sure take care of this for you. Could I please get your address so I can send you out a replacement pair of Ice Armor X gloves (8572) right away for you.

Thank you,

Mindy

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Can’t argue with that reply. I love mine so far.

DSchuh
    Golden, CO

Glad to hear they’re going to help you out. I think once you get a new pair you will be much happier. Good luck and let us know how fast they send them out and a review with the new pair!!

G-raff
    Rochester, MN

I have both the mittens and the gloves and they are the 2 best pairs of gloves I have ever owned. Must be a faulty pair. I give them

fishbait

Bought a pair in Jan. because they where suppose to water proof. Wrong! I used them fishing and got a little wet but last Tues. fishing a drizzle in Red Wing they became completely soaked. Sent e-mail Clam. Wish I seen this review before I bought them.

Corey Rhymer
    Roberts, WI

I have experienced the same thing, when ice fishing, I would kind of get them a little wet digging the fish out of the hole. The water would seep through and get my fingers wet and start to freeze in the tips of the glove… I won’t buy from Clam again, had problems with the hub tents, their gloves, and their ice fishing accessories are cheap quality to say the least. To me with Clam, its just the name, nothing more… Hate to say it…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.