Hair Jigs

• trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I was reading up on some of the forums on here and I notice when the subject of jigging with hair was talked about it was ALWAYS “bucktail” jigs.

I know and understand that bucktail jigs are a deadly weapon and produce quite well either naked or with meat.

When I go to other towns to fish I check in the local bait shop just to see what is the hot color and while there I notice alot of synthetic hair jigs in thier shop,but I have never read a report of use of them or maybe they just say “hair jig” meaning synthetic hair jigs. I really dont know

I use them alot for vertical jigging either in the pear shape or flathead river jig, but will use bucktails to pitch,drag and even sometimes vertical jigging.

I would like to know how many of you use synthectic hair jigs and if so,when do you use them and do you use naked , with meat or both ??

Thanks Jeff

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

I hope Sharkbait replies to this post. You should see the jigs he ties…..they are simply amazing. He does a lot of it and is good at it too.

I use hair jigs quite a bit for crappies, and if I ever put anything on em it’s usually a crappie nibble. If I use em for walleyes, which I will at times, I try more things. I even like to put a 3″ twister tail on the hook just to add some size and attraction along with the undulating of the hair. Just let the fish tell you what they want.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Umm Brian? I didn’t know bullheads came with hair?

Ok…I’ll stay out of this post.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Well sure, BK!! You just stick em in the bully somewhere for added attraction for the 50 pounders!

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Those synthetic hair jigs are less expensive. I have not looked specifically for buck tail jigs at Bass Pro or Cabela’s but I think that if they had them in stock down here they would be a lot more expensive.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I am sure Dean would ship some. By far and away the best hairjigs on the market can be had at Evert’s.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Have any of you guys died hair from your deer harvest for making jigs. Saved the tail and some belly hair off my deer this year and was thinking about trying it.

KTERSINAR
    marion IA

Those jigs you are talking about are made out of a craft hair. My Dad has made them for years, If you take a real close look it is the same hair that you find on the old troll dolls

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Mike, you can dye them but it’s not the easiest thing in the world. You have to de-bone and dry them first, then wash them until the hair is clean. You can dye use Rit fabric dye for the color. You basically mix the dye very strong and then let them sit over very low heat for a long time, stirring occasionally. I used black dye the only time I tried it, and I let it sit for over a day. The hair came out dyed, but was more like dark brown even after all that time. Lighter colors might be easier.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I find it depends on how fine in texture the synthetics are that will determine whether I will use it or not. As a ruke the finer and softer the synthetic, the more it tangles when wet.

I really prefer bucktail. Calf tail works well on smaller walleye-sized jigs, but I just seem to gravitate back to bucktail for most of my walleye jigs.

I’ve use artic fox tail and Icelandic whatever hair and these two natural hairs will matt quickly when used in the amounts required for a larger jig, but can be real good on crappie sized jigs. Both of these hairs are very fine and the “a little goes a long way” rule applies here nicely.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

You guys got the wrong Ideal about my post, I think ….

I am not looking for any jigs, I tie my own bucktail and synthetic hair jigs.

I was just curious if any of you have or do use synthetic,faux fur or craft hair jigs and if so when and how do you use them.

Thanks Jeff

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.