Can a map chip be copied?

• jig_n_pig
    Balsam Lake Wisc.

I was just on a website from Arizona Bass Zone Forums and someone asked if they needed to have a map in each Gps unit if the units were using the same antenna. Someone answered that the map could be copied and then used in the other unit. I don’t believe a map chip can be copied and then used in another unit. What are your thoughts.

NowVoayger
    Alexandria, Va

you can make a copy but it will not work. That’s
    my experience.

jhalfen

There’s one way to do it.

Pull $100-$150 out of your wallet, depending on which chip you’re interested in.

Hand it to the store clerk.

They’ll hand you a map chip.

Presto….another copy!

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

They are called “plug-n-play” for a reason. I really don’t think there’s any way you can copy them. These guys would go out of business if people were copying them for each other and all that. They’ll never let that happen, you can be sure of that.

fireman731
    Miles, Iowa

I think it was with a Lowrance or HotSpots map that I read ” do not make copies of this chip, doing so will corrupt files on the original”. I think it was some kind of software safeguard they incorperate to discourage people making copies.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

No, you can not copy map chips. They are copyright protected and it is illegal to copy the data.

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

If I understand it correct……if the system is net worked, the unit without the chip can see if unit with the chip.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Quote:

If I understand it correct……if the system is net worked, the unit without the chip can see if unit with the chip.

Unfortunately mapping is NOT shared over the network.

Dan

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.