Marcum LX-5 Problem???

• joeyno5
    Rochester MN.

I went to charge the LX-5, my battery idicator says the battery is 100%. I turned the unit on to make sure everything is good to go and nothing. I pulled the unit out of the case checked all connections and rehooked them up, then I pluged in the charger and tried running the unit thinking the battery was bad and maybe I was getting a false reading. Still nothing. Everything worked fine at the end of the season last year, I still am questioning my battery but I would think even a bad battery should be able to power up the unit when on the charger. Any help???

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

If you didn’t have your unit plugged in at least a couple times during the summer…your battery is shot.

$19.95 at a Sportsman’s Warehouse or other local shop will get you back flashing again.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

PS I leave mine plugged in all summer.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I went to charge the LX-5, my battery idicator says the battery is 100%. I turned the unit on to make sure everything is good to go and nothing. I pulled the unit out of the case checked all connections and rehooked them up, then I pluged in the charger and tried running the unit thinking the battery was bad and maybe I was getting a false reading. Still nothing. Everything worked fine at the end of the season last year, I still am questioning my battery but I would think even a bad battery should be able to power up the unit when on the charger. Any help???

I’m with BK. I’d bet you a cold one the battery is a goner. Swap in a new battery to verify.

The DCS that comes with the LX5 is a fantastic charging system but if you leave the DCS on the battery is causes a slow power drain on the battery which after awhile leaves the battery stone cold dead. It is important to throw the LX5 battery, and all batteries for our ice fishing gear, on the charger monthly throughout the summer to keep everything running smoothly come first ice.

Let us know if a different battery solves your issue.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I disconnect my DCS for summer, and only reconnect it for charging

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

That’s the way to do it.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I am not so sure this is a battery issue. I wouldn’t think the indicator would read 100% if the battery is faulty. I would check the connections.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I know it seems counterintuitive but if the connections check out I would swap the battery out even if the meter reads 100%.

Make sure you let us know what it takes to fix your issue as there’s a whole mess of flashers waking up from a long nap right now and I would expect us to hear about more than a couple battery issues, regardless of manufacturer.

joeyno5
    Rochester MN.

I’m back. New battery in and we got power, gotta get the new one charged up cause it’s only at 70%. It was weird that the my indicator told me my old battery was at 100%.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Good to hear!!!

I guess we all can learn something new everyday.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

It was weird that the my indicator told me my old battery was at 100%.

That is not the first time I have heard that this year.
    Each time though a new battery has cleared the problem.

Ron

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

Mine did the same thing, guess I better go get a new battery for the LX-5

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

You guys with the bad batteries..have you tried to trickle charge them and them hit them with your normal charger? The LX5’s with the digital readouts will kill the battery if left plugged in. If the batteries go below a certain voltage…FLAT DEAD…the charger will not get it going…I used to do that with my drill batteries when they would get too low.
    Not positive it will work, but just a thought…

beckzl32

i like to charge my battery at least 1 once a month i had my battery go bad try leaving it on the charger for a week straight be cause it brought mine back

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Chris hit a nail on the head. Most of the new automatic chargers will not push a charge into a totally dead battery, but will show it is 100% charged or charge complete.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Its very important to do one of two things in the summer when the flasher is being stored….1. Unplug the DCS if your going to store the unit for the summer. 2. Charge the battery a minimum of one every 2 months. This will keep help prolong the life of the battery.

I know that these items have been mentioned already, but it very important to remember to do this, otherwise you will be shopping for a new battery and most likely miss out of early ice because your shopping for that new battery..

walleyejigger05

i was using the battery out of my vexilar fl 18 to power a small radio that i had monkey rigged in my boat, gotta have tunes for the fish to sing to aswell.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.