Lawrance 522c bow mount

• gelmir

Anyone have a link as to mounting a Lawrance 522c in the bow? I’m thinking of using the skimmer transducer that came with it and attatching it to the trolling motor. The 522 to be attatched to a RAM mounted on the deck. Should the power be attatched to the footpedal of the trolling motor or run separately and passed up through the deck behind the RAM?
    Any imput would be a help. Thanks.

Only Ball Jars make perfect Masons

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

Should the power be attatched to the footpedal of the trolling motor or run separately and passed up through the deck behind the RAM?

To avoid interference issues, I think that running separate wires is your best option.

Welcome to IDO, Glad to have you aboard

Ron

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I might

I had a source to tap for power up front I certainly would not tap the trolling motor battery or power wires, you’re asking for interference, then again you could always try and see. Eitherway best to run a wire of it’s own.

Techincally mine’s a 337, but the dimensions are the same, minus the antenna. I’ve probably posted my setup 30 times, each time promising to clean up the look, it may look exactly same as it does in the pic Function over looks I guess

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

I would NOT run the power to the bow mount finder off a trolling motor battery. You will have interference if you do that. Hopefully there’s a power source up front for it. But if there isn’t, it would be worth your time to run power up there from the starting battery.

As for mounting the skimmer, it can be done with one of these:

[image]http://http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_012684_imageset_01?$main-Medium$[/image]

They are available through Cabela’s with THIS link. They work ok, but if you bump the motor on the lake bottom, or go thru thick weeks, you’ll most likely be adjusting the ducer again so it points down. It’s really worth the $$ to buy the puck ducer.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Hi Nick,

If we all pitch in and get you a 522 for Christmas will

you promise not to show that pic. again.

Dan

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Well crap, I have no idea why the image isn’t showing up, but if you go to that link, you’ll see what I mean.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Also, with the transducer I suggest coving the cable with some plastic cable cover (autoparts store) If you don’t have a cable steer trolling motor, you will pinch the transducer cable over time, I’ll bet you replace it because of this in the future, and even if you are careful, you friends will pinch it for you.

I run a universal sonar now, love it, short of that I was using an iceducer for sometime and it worked really good, though it wasn’t perfect in current or if you were really cruising along. More or less i had the ice ducer anyways, and was waiting for the terrova to be released it worked out nicely.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Quote:

Hi Nick,

If we all pitch in and get you a 522 for Christmas will

you promise not to show that pic. again.

Dan

NEVER!

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I got your back on this one Brian

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Quote:

Also, with the transducer I suggest coving the cable with some plastic cable cover (autoparts store) If you don’t have a cable steer trolling motor, you will pinch the transducer cable over time, I’ll bet you replace it because of this in the future, and even if you are careful, you friends will pinch it for you.

Yup, a detail I overlooked. You’ll want to make sure all cables are secured and protected, no doubt. Even though it’ll be real low voltage, you don’t want to take any chances on it getting damaged.

Thanks for doing that Slider. I wonder what I was doing wrong?

NowVoayger
    Alexandria, Va

gelmir,
    I was right, this is the correct board to ask your questions, you can find the “The Hull Truth” here.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Quote:

gelmir,
    I was right, this is the correct board to ask your questions, you can find the “The Hull Truth” here.

Better believe it!

jjjaymmman

You should connect your 522 to your cranking battery. I have this same unit and one thing that really saved me while night fishing was this unit. Well not the unit itself but one of the features. You can display any additional information on any page you want. One great one is battery voltage. Now back to why this was important to me. While night fishing, I looked down at my sonar screen and I saw my battery voltage had dropped down to 9.1 volts. I went to crank the engine and I barely got it started. If I did not hook this unit up like I did I probably would have been in a very bad situation. Now as long as I stay about 9.5 volts I have no problems. PS it’s also a very good idea to have jumper cables on your boat just incase you need to jump off a trolling motor battery.

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

Quote:

While night fishing, I looked down at my sonar screen and I saw my battery voltage had dropped down to 9.1 volts. I went to crank the engine and I barely got it started. If I did not hook this unit up like I did I probably would have been in a very bad situation. Now as long as I stay about 9.5 volts I have no problems.

I am surprised your Lowrance unit even stayed on with that low a voltage. That has to be at the low limit of voltage for it to even work.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Well overall the voltage reading is a bit flawed, if you change the light setting the volt setting changes pretty quick too. It’s a good indication but I wouldn’t put a whole lot into it being a actual 9.5v IIRC I had problems starting once and I was in the lower 10v range, the one unit turned itself off…

ggoody
    Mpls MN

On a side note the Lowrance 522 sonar/gps combo’s are on sale just about everywhere for $499…. with a little creative CC application and coupons a person can knock some more dough off of that price.

I did…

jjjaymmman

I am surprised your Lowrance unit even stayed on with that low a voltage. That has to be at the low limit of voltage for it to even work.

Haha, Hey, I just found out that if it goes below 8.8 volts it will shut off. I have not been using my boat and did not charge the battery up lately, but the today I added a new unit. I now have two 522C and I linked them together with both an ENET and N2K network and they work great. The ENET lets me share both tranducers and the N2K lets me share waypoints. I only needed two cables to hook it up and it cost $80. Pretty cool.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.