Lund possible defect notification

• wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Members,

I recently received a letter from Lund stating that there may be a problem with the fuel sender gasket on the Lund Explorer 1675. They estimate about 1% may experience leakage. Lund suggest you monitor for fuel leaks and replace the gasket under warranty. Anyone who this effects should get the same letter in the mail. I am only posting this as a precaution. My Lund is a 2003 and I do not know if this problems occured in other models or years. See your Lund dealer for details.

Wade

herb
    6ft under

I read about this awhile back. Mine is also a 03 explorer and I’ve not yet recieved any letter of recall.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I have an ’02 and have not recieved a letter…

herb
    6ft under

My mistake, letter of notification.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

I purchased my 1675 in may and have not received any notification.Has anyone talked to their dealer about it?

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

I don’t want to cause any panic. If any of you have not gotten the letter and think you should have you can monitor for any gas leaks and contact your dealer with questions. I got mine fairly recently and purchased the boat this April so others may still be coming.

Note this too, the problem sounds like more of a potential problem than an urgent alert. The trouble seems to be that over time the gasket may deteriorate and eventually leak. Lund wants to get them replaced but it does not appear urgent. Hope this helps. – Wade

Suckerminnow
    Stillwater, MN

Where is the fuel sender gasket leak? I have a 2003 1675 and have noticed a strong gasoline odor when I open the front cargo compartment. Is this where the problem lies? Please advise.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

To inspect for leak:

Step 1: Lift bow of boat (to tilt back).

Step 2: Remove access cover located in splash-pan at transom.

Step 3: Inspect bilge area for fuel. Look, smell, and feel for signs of fuel. If you detect fuel, do not use your boat. If you do not detect fuel, Lund suggest that you do not over-fill your fuel tank. The Lund letter states, “Lund recommends not to fill tank over half its capacity until fuel sender gasket is replaced.

Lund also notes a shortage of replacement gaskets at this time.

Again, before anyone goes though too much trouble or worry, contact your Lund dealer to inquire about your boat’s status. You may have nothing to worry about.

I only posted this notice because this was a fuel related problem and I thought it MAY be a safety concern. I would expect that everyone who’s at risk will/has received the letter. Your Lund dealer should have all the information needed.

Thanks,

Wade

pjbarke

Hello members. This is in regards to the defective Lund sending unit gaskets. I did experience this problem on my Lund ProSport 1700 Adventure, that I purchased in June of this year. The problem was detected after I had filled the tank for the third time on a return trip. A couple days later I detected gas smell in my garage where I store it. There was a small amount of gas in the bilge. I traced it back to the gasket. The gasket was swelled and split.
    Having years of experience with sealing gaskets in my work as a product engineer for the automotive industry, it was obvious the gasket was not compatible with gasoline. I did get it replaced a couple weeks later thru my dealer. The day I brought it in for replacement, the dealer informed me that Lund would be implementing some action on this.
    I received the letter about the defect about one month after the replacement. Frankly, I considered the hazard potential quite high. In the automotive industry, Falure Modes and Effects Analysis considers the degree of hazard from a defect on a scale from irritating to mission disabling to life threatening. Concentrations of gas fumes trapped below the floor would seem to be a high potential for you know what. It’s been about two months now since the replacement. I have not heard any explanation as to the cause of the incompatible material, but maybe it’s time to give them a call. Anyone else out there have any problems? Other than this, I’m satisfied with the boat.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

PJ, welcome to the site & thank you for posting. That’s great feedback. This was my concern. I did not want to worry anyone who did not need to be concerned, but I thought since it was fuel related I should post it here. After reading your post, it affirms my concern.

Thank you for posting,

Wade

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.