Any tiller guys running e-tecs??

• johnksully
    Lakeville, MN

Are any of you tiller guys running e-tecs. I am debating between the yamaha and the e-tec but I can get a pretty good deal on a used e-tec. What’s everyone’s opinions?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

What size are you looking at? I would go yamaha.

johnksully
    Lakeville, MN

75 hp. I would prefer the yamaha also. But I think I can get a heck of a deal on the e-tec. I was wondering if anyone is having any problems with the e-tecs. I know it’s 4-stroke vs. 2-stroke. How well do the e-tecs troll down?

waterfowled

I don’t have any experience with E TEC’s. I’ve been running Yamaha’s of various sizes since 1990. Have been very happy with their performance, and reliability. The few problems I have had where promptly taken care.

bare67
    Metro MN

I hate to say but I would look at Yamaha, Mercury, Suzuki in that order. The Yamahas and Mercs have great handles made for tillers.
    I’m sure that the Etech is a great motor, but there handle is not up to par compared to the others.

dea
    Hixton, WI

I have one E-TEC tiller out there. It is a 50 HP. He bought it two years ago and no problems at all. Very happy with it. Be sure you have the system check gauge hooked up also. Lots of power and yes, they do troll down very nicely.

joeyno5
    Rochester MN.

I have owned Honda, Merc, Johnson, and currently running a 08 Yamaha 4 stroke FI. The motor is very nice, I like the digitroll feature and the Yamaha tiller handle is the best on the market in my opinion. Fuel Injection makes for very easy starts in cold weather and the power and throttle response is amazing. My last motor was a 2000 Honda 75 hp, I would say that the Honda was a smoother motor. The non fuel injected Honda did not like cold weather starts, once you got them started they ran top notch all day. The reason I stayed away from the E-tech is simply cold weather fishing, I have observed that they don’t seem to have all the bugs worked out in really cold conditions. The best thing you can do is go run them yourself, then you will have total confidence in whatever you buy.

SharkTeam
    Mosinee, WI

I dont think you could go wrong with either choice. Depends a little on what you want to do with it. I’ve been running an 04 Etec 75hp for 2 years now. It has the newer style tiller handle on it. My brother has an 06 Yamaha 60hp tiller. That motor runs like a dream, is very quiet and he’ll basically let it run all day when fishing. Mine has not had one issue. It starts very fast, runs smooth, is a little louder of course, but when I want to get up and go, I just twist the throttle and I am gone! In my opinion there is no comparison when it comes to hole shot and power. We pull a tube and skiers with it in the summer so its a great fit for my young family. I do wish that it would troll down a little slower – only about 1.5 to 1.8 mph. I have to use a drift sock to go slower. That yamaha is a great smooth and quiet fishing machine, and I’m a little jealous some times – but I am always first to the fishing spot… I’d choose the Etec for my next boat.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.