Transducer Cable Issue

• Coffee
    Burnsville, MN

Not sure if anyone has a good answer, but I’d love some suggetions. RE: Minn Kota PD65 Bowmount

Having trouble turning the unit all the way left or right. Transducer cable gets in the way. If I tighten or take up the slack of the cable, the unit doesn’t turn
    all the way. If I lossen up the cable, the cable is flopping around. ( Maybe that’s OK ). You need enough slack to allow the unit to turn
    Is there a way to take up the slack and still prevent the cable from interferring with the turn of the PD65. I’ve used a plastic wire connection above the slide stop. When I used one just below the unit seemed to land hard on the cable. Please help. Thanks Dave C.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Coffee, I don’t have the solution but I will tell you that there is some risk to not having the cable tight enough. Ryan Hale and I were out one night and we chopped the cable off in the trolling motor. I’ve heard others have had this happen too. Just a little warning for you. Good luck! – Wade

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

I run the same setup as you and am having the same problems. I have put the plastic cable cover used for hiding electronic cables for home electronics. That way the cable has a little more protection, and the thicker cover doesn’t get caught when putting the trolling motor back in the bracket when I’m done.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I have the Minkota PD65 also. I run the cable thru the grab handle and leave enough slack so the motor can turn 180 degrees left/right from straight. I have never had a problem. I’ll post some pictures on where I have the cables wire tied. (Probably on Monday as I’m off to the lake right after work.)

Jon J.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Here are a series of pictures to show you how I have the T-Cable rigged on my Minnkota PD65. Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions. Note, the one shot with the ruler shows about an 11 inch slack about halfway down the shaft.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Jon, that’s great. The pics should be very helpful to anyone trying to mount a trolling motor transducer. Very kind of you to take your time on that. Nice use of the Ram Mount too. Never seen that before. I also notice that cooler of beer is still in the background!

Thanks,

Wade

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Never, and I mean Never attempt to do this job without a cooler of beer nearby!!

Jon J.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

Nice use of the Ram Mount too. Never seen that before.

That RAM mount is a must when you have a 60 inch shaft. Otherwise that motor head would be smacking the boat on every wave. Here is a link to that item in Cabela’s:

RAM Mount

Jon J.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

Never, and I mean Never attempt to do this job without a cooler of beer nearby!!

Again, very sound advice. You’re like a walking encyclopedia.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Huh, you ran the cable through the grab bracket. Great idea, now I am going to redo mine. Thanks for the pix’s.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Mr. Jon Jordan gets a round of applause from me today for providing such detail in his explaination… a pics worth a 1000 words, right?! Nicely done Jon. Not many would go to the lengths you did to help a guy you’ve likely not met.

Coffee
    Burnsville, MN

Jon,

Thank you so much,
    Your picture of the slack made all the difference.
    Initially I had the PD65 and Transducer rigged by Crystal Marine. They did a good job, but as the 1st season went on, I made some adjustments ( tightening the slack in the cable ). I then mounted the same ram mount you have pictured and ran the cable round the bracket, which didn’t help. Bottomline, you have to have enough slack in the cable.
    thanks again,
    Dave C.

tony_apisa
    E. Moline Illinois along the Rock River

Here,Here, Way to go Jon.

jardan
    Cedar Rapids Iowa

Jon I have done the same thing you have done with your cable also.One thing else I did was run the slack through the coiled pwr crd running up the shaft.Yes you have to be careful with it but it helps hold the slack in place.Nice idea and good pics.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Did you run the cord through all of the loops in the coil or just a few? I tried running through all and it did not work too well for me.

fireman731
    Miles, Iowa

Glad to see someone else using the RAM MOUNT. I added one last year after some rough water caused my mounting bracket to snap off. I think it makes good sense to use when trailering the boat, saves a lot of wear and tear on things.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.