Locking up your electronics

• walleyejohn

For the most part I have always taken my electronics off the boat when not on the water. However, there have been a few times when I leave the electronics on and leave the boat for a short time (tied to a pier, etc.) Call me paranoid but with the amount invested in electronics I would hate to see these units disappear.

Does anyone have a locking system other than using a lock on my ram mount and then another one on my gimbal mount?

Thanks for your help,
    walleyejohn

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Nope cause I wouldn’t want the false sense of security, tell me you couldn’t yank a unit off the dash with some force with or without the lock, I’m convinced I could. In dash mounting is probably the safest method, still it wouldn’t take long. Gotta lock them up.

shew
    East Bethel, Minnesota

I would take them and lock them in a compartment as well but here is a lock for Ram mounts. Ram mount locks.

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

Shew, thanks for the link. Wasn’t aware RAM had a locking device.

birddog
    Mn.

I don’t worry about it to much. I’m with Nick, I believe I could rip any graph or mount off a boat, as far as that goes, I could rip open any locked storage lid. If I couldn’t rip the graph/mount off, I’d surely do enough damage to ensure a warranty claim. If someone wants your gear, they’ll get it.

BIRDDOG

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Quote:

40 cal Glock.

I caught someone trying to steal my locator off my boat last year. I don’t think they will be back.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Absolutely listen to these guys. One of those little locks will not protect your gear from someone that wants to get it.

Bolt it to the plastic dash? 30 seconds and a dewalt reciprocating saw and it is gone. Lock it in a storage compartment and cover the boat? All that will get you if someone wants your stuff is a boat cover sliced open with a box cutter and a rod box busted open with a 6 lb hammer.

I’m not making up these examples. These are pulled from incidents that happened to friends. If you leave your stuff in the boat locked up all it gets you is your stuff stolen AND your boat beat to heck.

Take those units OFF the boat and sleep with them under your bed.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

I don’t let my boat out of my site at the lakes or at bait shops and such. I just can’t afford to risk it. I always take my electonics off and take them in the house or lock them up in my truck that has an alarm system.

When I’m at a hotel, cabin, or camp ground I take a baby moniter along and plug it in along with my battery charger. I’ve only been woke up one time when I heard a couple of cover snaps get unbuttoned. When I flipped the light on they were gone before I could get out the door. It definately works unless you are a very deep sleeper. Another thing I’ve done in the past is install a alarm system on my boat. I had one that you could set the shock sensitivity and if someone crawled on the trailer or boat it would go off. The nice thing about the alarm is that it works while you are out of town and it was loud enough the neighbors would hopfully investigate what’s going on.

makeithappen
    Eden Prairie, MN

I am with the other guy’s. With the number of idiots there are runnin around it probably wouldn’t take somebody long to gank your electronics of your rig. Along the same lines as SHERMANATOR get out the old shoty and fire a couple in the air. With any luck the little jerk face will probably PAY you to let him go thus earning you more $$$$ for more electronics

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Nothing I and I do mean NOTHING on you boat is safe. I bought a used 97 Lund from a dealer that had originally sold it new to a guy in Iowa, it was loaded with 90HP main motor, kicker, bow mount trolling motor, and all the electronics you could think of. He took it home and parked it in his drive way, he only had it two days when it was stolen right out of his drive way. They took everything off this boat including all the gauges off the dash and the controller for the motor, they ditched the boat out in the sticks, the only thing that was left was the boat itself and the trailer everything else was gone. So yeah take a couple of extra minuets and remove your electronics and lock them up somewhere safe.

KirtH
    Lakeville

I like the baby moniter idea

rangerski
    North Metro

Quote:

40 cal Glock.

Great choice, I never leave home without mine!

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I would like to have an alarm……Yells….. GET THE H_LL AWAY FROM MY BOAT………CLICK………BANG!!!!!!!! Could probably get DNA samples off the ground from where the perp was standing.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.