Crestliner experiences?

• jhalfen

I’m currently running a Lund 1650 explorer/50HP Merc 4S, and the Mrs is itching for a boat that can pull a skier (for those non-fishing times). I’m considering a Crestliner Fish-hawk or sportfish, 17′ or 18′. Does anyone have any experience with one of these models? Do they actually make a decent fishing platform? Thanks in advance!

Snagger
    Owatonna, MN

My brother in law has one and he loves it he sits in the front and stands and cast all the time. good luck. I would try to put a Yamaha 115 4 stroke great motor excellent feul economy.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I purchased the 1750 Fishawk with the Yammie 115 4 banger this spring. I was looking at several boats at the time, all had better rod storage, but other than that, for my needs the fishawk was the boat for me and my budget. I really like that little yammie. She just purrs. I get just over 40mph with the current prop and when I get the 19 pitch on there so I can actually open her up, I’m expecting as good at 45 by myself. I like the large platform up front for fishing two guys easily. Send me a private and I’ll fill you in on some things to make sure you get in your deal.

sandbar
    Woodbury, MN

Brooktrout,
    I have a 2003 1850 Fish Hawk Dual Console with a Suzuki 140 Four stroke. It is a great boat to fish from. There is tons of room in the front, the boat is 95 inches wide and 18 ft 3 inches long, and there is plenty of storage. I also use it for skiing, tubing, etc… If you have any other questions, send me a pm.

Sandbar

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I own a ’01 1750 Fishawk S/C with a 90 two stroke Merc. Love the boat but I would have rather had the 115 Yammie 4 stroke. The Merc is a tad cold blooded, but has been dependable. I would recommend buying a snap travel cover from someone other than Crestliner. I’ve seen much higher quality covers at sports shows for the same money as C-liner charges. I’ve had a couple of snaps break off the boat and my speedo just recently quit working. As far as room and comfort, I’ve been very pleased. I would buy another one. The 1750 is a good size for me as it handles big and small water and is easy for one person to load/unload. I would get a bunk trailer next time however.
    Good boat for the money.

clay
    Kansas City, Mo

I have had a 1650 FishHawk for 6 years now, and I have had nothing but good too say about it. I have a 90 HP Johnson on it and never had a problem with it. I fish by myself a lot and it is more than enough room. GREAT BOAT! GOOD LUCK.

Jira

They are both nice boats and I’ve been substantial time this year in each. Given the choice I’d probably go the fish hawk as it’s a little lighter and set up for fishing a bit better. It’s also $2k or so less expensive. I’m not an expert but in seeing the difference first hand there are only 4-5 features that are different and none of them add $2k value imho.

As far as performance…

Brother-in-law has a ’03 18′ fish hawk with a 150 Yam 2 Stroke Ballistic prop runs 53mph @ 5200rpm.

Uncle has a ’03 18′ sport fish with a 140 Johnson 4 Stroke alum prop runs 42mph @ 5300rpm.

That’s all I know.

Toad
    New Hampton, Iowa

Brooktrout, are you going to be selling your 1650 Explorer?
    I’am in the market for something like that.

jigger2001
    Rochester

I am running the 1750 w/ 125 merc. I have done both in the short time. For pulling this is the machine I have no problems getting 2 people up. I just love it for the fishing. I have had this oe up to 52mph gps on pepin 2 people and equipment.
    Hopr this helps
    Jigger

chappy
    Hastings, MN

I am also running a 1750 fish hawk and am trying to sell it to buy a 1850 Dual console. I love the room in this boat , There is plenty o’room to move around and completly stable in big waters. I weigh 250 # and it had no problem pulling my lard butt out of the water. I have a 19 degree prop on a 115 2 stroke merc,and I get over 40 with 3 people and a livewell full of water. Nice boat’s for the money.

look-a-like
    St. Charles, MN

I have a 2001 1750 fishawk with 115 Yamaha and T8 kicker. Great fishing and family boat, you won’t be disappointed.

jhalfen

Wow guys, thanks for all the input and opinions. Sounds like a fishhawk is the way to go. Anyone seen one on closeout lately?

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Send Chris Tuckner(eyeguide) a private message. I know he can point you in the direction for the best pricing.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

As many of you know, I am on the Crestliner Pro Staff, and sell quite a few Crestliners thhrough 61 Marine here in Hastings. I would be glad to give you a hands on tour through both boats, and price you on each model. The Fish Hawk is a great fishing boat, but may come up a bit short on pulling skiers, and some of the other activities where you need a bit more horsepower, and seating capacity. The Sportfish on the other hand has a new convertible back end that flips up or down to seat three more folks, and when down extends the casting platform by a couple of feet! An awesome package! If you would like to know more, private email me, or stop by 61 Marine.
    Tuck

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

Brooktrout,

I own a 2002 1850 DC Fishhawk with a 150 HPDI Yamaha and the infamous T8. It’s a great all around boat that can be used for pleasure in addition to power fishing. I might be interested in selling it. Then I can look at Mr. Tuckner’s 202. Send me a pm if interested. If your interested in looking at a few pictures, let me know.

Kurt Turner

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Kurt,What kind of speed do ya get out of that 150?

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

54 mph the first summer off the GPS. That was before the factory prop starting to take on some wear. Lately I’ve been lucky to see 49-50 but I’m in dire need of a new prop. I’m consider a different model so I’ve just kept fishing. I really like the quick power that the HPDI provides.

nubbinbuck

sounds like the FH hull is quicker than the TS hull. I have a 182TS, and with a SS prop and 150HPDI, will see 47 on the gps.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Not doubting those speed readings but I’ve been in 2 1850’s with the 150 hpdi’s and the fastest I’ve been able to get them to run is 47 – 48 MPH w/ a light load. I ran one against Dustin’s 182 and the TS just walked away from it… no contest.

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

Guess you haven’t been in mine…….

BShimp
    Hudson, WI

I’m not a Crestliner guy but wanted to share some rigging info. I run a new 1800 Fisherman w/ 150 HPDI. Had the same model last year and ended selling it only to buy a new one this year. The only difference I made was to mount the engine one hole off the transom. Made a very big difference in hole shot, speed and ride. GPS speed on the previous rig was max of 48. With the new setup and different mounting height I’ve got 54. Both were with 21″ pitch aluminum prop. I was very surprised to the that big of a jump in speed. Hole shot is quicker and the ride softer (Just a little FYI to consider when rigging your boat). I debated on the Crestliners but ended up with another Lund. I’ve had 3 and always they sold easily, quickly and for top dollars, plus they were trouble free. I wasn’t sure how Crestliner would sell if I needed to and didn’t want to take the risk on a different brand. It is one heck of a boat though. for more mounting info check out this link to Yamaha. They have performance applications on many boat brands: Yamaha

MONGO
    Spring Valley, Wi.

I have 2002 1750 Fishhawk sc with a Yamaha 115h.p. 4-stroke and 8h.p. 4-stroke kicker that I’m selling. Also 24 volt bow mount, on board charger, extra seat, rod holders and electronics. Its a great fish and family rig although they are a little short on storage. Otherwise peerfect for what I do. Send me a p.m. if your interested in taking it for a cruise. Jason

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I am running the same set up as Mongo in a 2003 and sim[ply love it for a great all round fishing machine.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Wow! That’s a good lookin’ rig! I’m not in the market for one that new…………..but it’s got the “want-a-new-toy-drool” started!!!

sandbar
    Woodbury, MN

Tom,
    I like your color choice! I took the “plunge” this year a picked up the 2003 1850 Fish Hawk DC. I have been extremely happy with the boat. It’s very easy to fish from. How is your Yami running for you?

Sandbar

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

175 vs 150? Might have had a little to do with the speed…Motor setup is key to speed as well. Motor heigth on the transon, and the right prop combo makes a huge difference. I used to get 56 MPH out of a 172 TS with an Evy 150 Ficht. The TS boats do have a Quick-shot Transom for out of the hole performance, and you can keep a lot less of the boat in the water under high speeds. The Fish Hawk does not, and may explain some of the speed differences.
    Tuck

jigger2001
    Rochester

Tuck,
    I have the 2004 fh dc. After buying it, I had some issues with prop selection. When taking to Crestliner they metioned that the 04 hull was redesigned and the pitch on the 125 merc differed from last year. Can you let me know if this is true? I went with the 23 pitch and have a awesome hole shot and fast top end. After the 20 hour check I hit 52 this weekend, blowing past a 03 glasstron with 150.
    As the motor gets more broken in, am I to expect it go faster? or is that pretty much top end? I hit just under 5250 rpms full throttle and trimmed just over half.
    Thanks
    Jigger2001

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

That is pretty impressive! The hull re-design I am not to sure of. I know the TS series received new hull for 04. The Hawk I am not sure of. We will get the answers for you. I would be very happy with the performance you are seeing! For a 125 to hit that kind of speed is awesome! A 23 deg pitch is pretty aggressive for a 125. At those RPM and speeds, you are doing very good!

Tuck

BShimp
    Hudson, WI

Hey Sandbar, Was your maiden voyage on the WI opener at the ST. Croix? I remeber fishing next to a guy with the identical rig you have and I commented on how good it looked. You said you were happy you spent the extra coin and upgraded to the 140 instead of the 115. I was thinking about buying that exact rig so I remeber noticing it. We were fishing about 200 yards down from the kinni – away from the crowds. Sounds like the boat/motor package worked out. A buddy of mine in East Grand Forks runs the same rig and loves it. I have yet to ride in a Crestliner but look forward to it.

sandbar
    Woodbury, MN

Bshrimp,
    Yah, that was probably me. I broke in the motor in the Hudson area the last week of April. The South end of the Kinni is my favorite spring fishing spot. The secret spot! The boat has really been great, the motor is smooth and quiet with good power. I still smile when I go to work in the morning knowing it’s mine. I am pretty lucky. What type of boat do you have? If you see me out there, stop by and say hello.

Sandbar

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.