All Purpose baitcast line?

• Coffee
    Burnsville, MN

Anyone have thoughts on using Braided Spider Wire ( 30lb test ) as an all purpose line to troll cranks. I’ve used fireline to troll with and have done well. It’s the pits to cast. Tried Spider wire for the 1st time this summer casting and really like it. Now that fall is here, any drawbacks to trolling with Spider wire? Trying to get mulitple uses from the couple baitcasters I have.
    thanks,
    Dave C.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I use Spider Wire all the time to troll with and have had no problems with it.

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

I have used Spider Wire 30lb for all my trolling and 3-waying needs for years and loved it until….. They changed the formula on the braid a year back or so and to be honest with you I did not like the new formula they came up with. The line was not as tightly woven and would easily come apart, this made getting a mess twice as bad. The coating on it isn’t very good and hooks would go right thru it on me causing extra un-needed headaches for me on guide trips.

This Spring I started using the Spider Wire stealth and actually like it more than the older Spider Wire. They make the Stealth in the 20lb 6lb diameter vs. the 30lb 6lb. I do have some of the older 30lb Spider wire on 2 of my trolling rods, to tell you the truth the 20lb Stealth feels like it has a higher tolerance for breaking than the 30lb did for me.

Here is a product review done by my good friend James ~H20~ Holst on this product. Product Review for Spider Wire Stealth

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

I too prefer the Stealth. I’ve used it trolling, jigging bass and casting for muskies. Minimal backlashes and maximum strenght and sensitivity.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I use Fireline 20/6 and also Berkley XT 10 lb. and have had good luck with them. The Maxima 10 lb. works pretty good too. Thanks, Bill

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I’ll also give the Stealth a thumbs up. You can anchor the boat with the 20/6….strong stuff. It also holds the color better than PowerPro. Give it a try.

Jon J.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

After really giving the Stealth a good going over up on Mille Lacs I’m even more sold on the stuff than ever. It does NOT fray. Holds the color like Jon mentioned. It’s VERY user-friendly and manageable. It’s stronger than the old spiderwire and it costs less and you get more. In my opinion, it makes fireline look a bit inadequate and I think you’ll see more and more people switching from the fireline to Stealth once they’ve tried the stuff.

I caught pike after pike this past week that had woofed the cranks completely into their mouths and this line NEVER needed to me retied afterwards.

Can it be cut by a pike? I’m sure it can. Have I had it happen yet? No. It’s good stuff!

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

I am getting mixed feelings on the stealth, I have tried to cast some spinners and had the line actually break on me during a cast. then when i cought moby stick (tree on the shore) it wouldn’t break the line or get me my lure back. but all in all i am impressed with teh softness of the line and the fact that is has no memory retention from spool to reel. I also like the fast that it also casts a mile and comes off the spool clean without snaging. every once and a while, you get a twist going in the line, but nothing to major. I give it gotta try it!!!

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I need to clarify something from my previous reply. The spider wire I have is the original spider wire, I have a huge reel of it. I will have to give the Stealth a try.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Hey Shane

Interesting point about the line breaking during the cast…

I’ve had similar problems with every braid I’ve ever used when I was throwing heavier bass and pike-sized lures. It seems like the lack of stretch inherent in the line coupled with a vigorous casting motion caused problems…. the lure just keeps going… and going…. and going!

My casting with the Stealth product has been limited to smaller walleye sized cranks and its been a pleasure to use. I’m thinking that if I was to cast for pike or musky with the stuff I’d step up to 60 – 80 lb line and go with a rod that had a little “whip to the tip” to keep from over-stressing the line during the cast. Did you experience these breakage problems when using lighter tackle or some heavier stuff?

Anyone else tried this product and had problems with it when casting? Just so guys know, I’m not sponsored to talk about this stuff… just think it’s an enormous improvement over fireline and the ‘ole reliable Spiderwire braid I’d come to depend on for so many years BUT I’d like to know of any shortcomings before I tried it in different situations. I already know I LOVE the stuff for trolling.

Quote:

I am getting mixed feelings on the stealth, I have tried to cast some spinners and had the line actually break on me during a cast. then when i cought moby stick (tree on the shore) it wouldn’t break the line or get me my lure back. but all in all i am impressed with teh softness of the line and the fact that is has no memory retention from spool to reel. I also like the fast that it also casts a mile and comes off the spool clean without snaging. every once and a while, you get a twist going in the line, but nothing to major. I give it gotta try it!!!

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

I would have to say the lure that i lost due to the stealth would be considered heavier tackle. it was a crank bait that i lost. but looking at the end of the line where it broke, it was frayed. I was also using a med-lite pole with 10pd stealth line. but then when hooking the trees. the line did not want to break at all, I had to whip out the leartherman and cut the line. I would still use it. but maybe go a little heavier on the line, I still haven’t tried it out in my sloppy bass hole that i go to and loose tons of lures in. but I am willing to bet, it will work just fine. for the price, it don’t hurt to pick it up and give it a try!!!!

just my opinion.

shane

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

And I appreciate your opinions and insights. Have a good one…

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I use Fireline for all of my trolling and three-waying. I’ve never had a problem with it. I know a lot of people like to use superbraid for jigging but don’t care for it. I still use mono for jigging and light drifting.

Gator Hunter

Coffee
    Burnsville, MN

Here’s kind of a related question. Using a a 6lb equivalent
    diameter line like Stealth, Spider Wire, or Fireline, do you see any problems using boards for trolling. Is slippage a problem?
    Any suggestions?
    thanks,
    Dave C.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

you may have to loop the string around the board clamp but other wise no. i know the stealth is supposed to be teflon (spelling) coated so it may cause a slippage there. otherwise i am not sure.

shane

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

No problems at all using the Mr. Walleye boards with the clips designed for super lines. No need in my experience for any double wrapping with the clips that come on these boards.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

I know that some guys do use the double wrap, I am not sure for what. but I have fished with some that do. I am thinking it just something that they started and just kept up. Now i know my knots that i tie with the stealt, will come undone eventually if you don’t tie a few half knots on top to hold hte line there.

shane

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Try a palomar knot. No slipping and won’t work loose. I’ve never had that knot let me down with the braids and I’ll go weeks on the same cross lock snap and knot w/o a problem.

cattinaddict
    Catfish country

yes, you do need to use the palomar knot, i found that the “fisherman” knot wont work on these super lines

Cattin_Addict

stuart
    Mn.

I have switched over to the remington braided line on some of my rigs and have been very happy with it. Anyone else use this line?

cattinaddict
    Catfish country

i was at sportsman warehouse in coon rapids today and saw they have the stealth line there from 10# – 50# for $9.99 for a 150 spool of line. I am not sure if this is a good price or not but i got 2 of them. hope to give this line a try this weekend.

Cattin_Addict

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’ve not tried that product. I’ll keep my eyes out for it now though.

Quote:

I have switched over to the remington braided line on some of my rigs and have been very happy with it. Anyone else use this line?

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

Quote:

i was at sportsman warehouse in coon rapids today and saw they have the stealth line there from 10# – 50# for $9.99 for a 150 spool of line. I am not sure if this is a good price or not but i got 2 of them. hope to give this line a try this weekend.

Cattin_Addict

I also got my spider stealth there, I like it, it sure worked nice last weekend horsing them bass in from the lillies. But still wasn’t in the thick stuff though. gotta wait for spring for the true test. but so far, i give it 5 stars.

shane

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

That’s a good price Shane. Regular spiderwire is $14.99 / 100 yards and Fireline is $12.99 / 150 yards. Typically.

EBass
    Minneapolis, MN

Hmm, Stealth huh. I haven’t tried it. I’ve been happy with my Power Pro. I had it on my reel for going on the second year now. Not one issue. It’s the 30# or 50#.

I’ve lost a few spinner baits this year on my other rod that has fire line. Both spinners were heavy and I was casting it pretty hard then snap and they sail. Of course both my of favorite spinners to.

My .02
    EBass aka Eric

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Any of you guys use braid on a spinning reel? I use Fireline, just never tried a braid. Better or worse than fireline on spinning tackle for those who have tried it?

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I stay away from the braided lines. They tend to unwind too much. Cant say much for the Stealth line as I have never tried it. All my rods are spooled with Spiderwire Fusion. The only mono I use is for panfish or for bobber fishing walleyes and sometimes mono for jig fishing walleyes shallow.

Four years ago I bought two 2500 yard spools of Fusion from a dollar store for $20 each. I have yet to make a dent in the first spool. I change it every other year.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

I’ve played with whiplash and spiderwire. What bothers me is that some of the lines come in 100 yard spools and that just doesn’t seem like quite enough. I think some of the problems people have are caused by choosing the wrong size of this type of line. The line choosing guide that I recall being on the power pro website said choose the line that’s the same diameter as what you would normally choose. Putting 6# diameter on anything but the smallest baitcast reel is outside this realm. I bought smaller first then filled 3 reels with 100# and 80# spiderwire and it has been quite agreeable in these sizes.

Some people do get by using the smaller sizes and still like the spectra lines. I think you need very limber rods to do this. My best luck has been on an old fiberglass type rod that’s too limp to use with anything but much lighter mono line.

I had some 25# spiderwire fusion and the knot strength in it seemed horrible to me. When you got snagged a light tug would break the knot every time. I’ve seen a guy using it here and he liked it, but he glued every knot also.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

What kind of knot were you using?

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

D: I tried a variety of knots and compared 25# spider fusion to 20# mono. It was a couple of years ago so maybe things have changed in that time. It just had the same issue all nonstretching lines do- the stuff is strong as hell until you tie a knot in it. I did notice that the line had a noticable pattern before it broke. If the coating on the line started pulling back because of the friction of the knot it would always break there vs a knot where it didn’t slip.

I went to a larger size line to combat the problem I found. My reels aren’t that big but they hold enough braid in 80/15 size where they wouldn’t hold enough fusion in 80/40 size. If you step down to fusion of the same size it’s 30/15.

I think if you glued the knots you could get much better performance out of it. Most of the time I had problems were in rocky places where I got snagged repeatedly. I used palomars and the aussie braid knot, which was slightly more prone to slipping than the palomar. Although it’s useful when you can’t fit your bait or whatever through a little loop in your line.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.