Pressure Washers…. What Do You Have?

• impalapower
    Madison, WI

Looking at purchasing a pressure washer. Probably only using it for washing vehicles but using it year round. Looking for something that also has the pickup for detergent. Would like something that is durable, dependable, and would last for quite some time. I’ve seen some electric models, but haven’t investigated enough to know if they are really junk or just the plastic on the outside of the unit is. What do you have and what are the likes and dislikes?

Bassn Dan

For washing vehicles you’d probably be better off going to a car wash.

In my opinion, they should call them “Pressure Rinsers” not pressure washers. They do not deliver detergent at high pressure like a car wash. On the wash setting, the detergent just dribbles out.

I had a Generac 2500 psi unit that I returned because it didn’t seem to clean much better than a garden hose. The truck still looked and felt dirty after I “washed.”

Dan

P.S. The Generac customer service phone rep didn’t seem to appreciate my “Pressure Rinser” comment.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

I have a hotsy in the shop- it is a great machine, it also heats the water- however it is commercial grade- and that comes with a commercial price.

I also have a portable- but it does not have a detergent pickup- But it works great for pressure.

You get what you pay for is very true for pressure washers.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Well I have to agree in part, nothing cleans like contact, atleast when it comes to cars and paint. more or less I use mine to get some of the bad spots off, works good from shining up the rims quick, but not as good as using a rag.

I do like it for cleaning pavement and I used it on my parent’s house last week, the siding hasn’t looked that good in years. Their back steps were pretty dirty and nasty since they are pretty much under the house they don’t get cleaned a whole lot by rain, now they look darn near brand new. Front steps had a rug and the concrete was stained pretty good, the pressure washer took care of that too in short work.

Unless you can really unleash all the power on something they are helpful at most. Both the concrete and my parent’s siding was able to take full pressure, the paint on the siding (concrete like tiles) was good, so it wasn’t affected.

I have a gas husky pressure washer, it works fine for what I need, 2200#’s with a soap attachment that only soaps at a real soft spray, brigs and stratton motor, a bit on the noisier side, but, point the exhaust towards the neighbors and it not as bad Got it on sale paid something like $199, I shopped (some) and waited it was the best deal I ran across in a couple most of looking (not too hard mind you)

The electric ones didn’t have a whole lot of power, but I’ve know people to use them and have no real complaints, I think of them like electric chain saws myself, they can get a job done (in most residential cases), but they aren’t the prefered method, I’d guess they are much quieter.

As far as specfic reccomendations go, for my needs it seems like pretty much any one on the market would be just fine, normally I don’t run it for more than 20 times a year for more than 20 minutes. Which is good enough a tank of gas seems to last about 45 minutes.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I have a Honda powered 2800# washer would not give it up for any thing especailly on the farm. Do have to be careful it will eat wood paint and rubber seals. Honda power is so darn reliable.

It depends on what your plans are for your washer if it`s just light duty car washing boat etc. I would stay with electric, gas is great but it is still easier to just flip a switch. and quieter. Some of the new electics shut off when the trigger is released. Inside the garage I want to get a small 1200# electic that shuts off with the handle, I can mount it on the wall and leave hooked up all year. Since my garage is heated.

When looking at pressure washers don`t only look at PSI look at gallons per minute. Having high PSI and very little water to go with it will take forever to get a wash job done.

With any pressure washer when the motor is running, if the spray nozzle is closed to long the water can heat up in the pump and destroy it.

Good Luck

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

I had an electric one from Menard’s for a couple of years and I toasted it while power washing my deck (for refinishing) this fall – it probably wasn’t meant to be used that much. In order to finish the project I purchased a Sears 2500 psi model with the Honday GVC 160 motor. I have been very pleased with it so far. It comes with 4 different tips and an container for soaps etc. Luckily it was on sale when I needed it for $299, it now lists for $379. I have also used it to clean my boat inside and out and it worked good for that as well. I just made sure I was carefull around the decals. Good Luck – Happy Shopping.

backlash
    Owatonna MN

I also had an electric one from menards. After washing my mower oneday went in the house to have coffee and came out too the thing in flames and a big melted pile of plastic along with the end of the hose burned off. And yes it was unpluged.

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

Another vote for the Honda. Use mine to strip my deck. Also cleans the driveway and siding on the house. Might be OK to use it on vehicles if they are really dirty/muddy but after taking off the really bad stuff, you can’t beat a good hand washing. Mine also has the detergent pickup but have never used it. Think you go through it pretty fast so you have better have allot.

UncleGrump
    Dodge County MN

I’ve gpt a unit I bought at Fleet Farm – 2550#, 6.5hp B&E engine. Have doen the deck and now the house w/ it. Also have done a vehicle or two – seemed to leave a layer of dirt on the car – w/o car wash pw soap.

One the house – soap seemed to make alot of differance.

UG

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.