Put new rollers on boat trailer

• warrenmn
    Minnesota

I found out, almost the hard way, that the difference between a very very gratifying experience and a complete disaster can be inches.
    I ran up to North Center lake to show the Nugent how my side scan works. Last week I had broke down and replaced the rollers on my trailer. I opted to go with the expensive solid ones, hoping that it would at least make cranking the boat on and off just a little easier. Well, pulled the boat and truck to the top of the ramp and hopped out and undid ever thing thinking when I got the boat a bit over the water in the lake I’d stop and using the winch and pulleys I set up to unload the boat. I always stop first to pull out the line from the boat to the dock and then crank the boat about half way off before I get back into the truck to gun and run in reverse to launch the boat.
    The difference I mentioned was the just barely putting the brakes to stop to get things ready. That boat shot off the trailer like a greased pig. Only problem was I hadn’t pulled the rope out I always tie to the dock. Was I ever glad it the trailer was in the water when I put the brakes on. If I’d applied a bit of brakes going down the ramp the boat would likely be on the way to the scrap metal place. Now even cranking the boat back on the trailer is easy. No more shore shoulders. Pardon the pun.
    I heard be thankful for small things. You can say that again.
    WarrenMN

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Always, always gotta leave the chain hooked up until you’re over the water.

And stay the heck away from me with that fancy side imaging crap, (I’ve spent enough on my fish finders already I don’t “need” another one)

Though I did get the go ahead from the wife

warrenmn
    Minnesota

Nick, up till now it took two men and a boy to pull it off the trailer.

WarrenMN

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I have to leave my strap and chain connected or my boat wont get to the water… it will end up sitting on the ramp.

Its actually a pain because I need to hold the boat forward when its over the water to get it unhooked, but it is very easy to launch and load at any access.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

One good reason for me not to get a roller trailer. I’ve always had a bunk trailer. My luck, I’ll get a roller trailer and unhook everything thinking I’m going to float the boat off and it will be laying on the ramp. I couldn’t imagine how embarassing it would be and how mad I’d get.

Lungbuster13

My boat slides off the trailer pretty decent but when cranking it back on it is a real workout. I noticed my front roller is soft rubber and is all beat up. Looks like I will be heading to the boat dealer for a $25 roller. Sounds like money well spent.

warrenmn
    Minnesota

They’re manufactured by Stoltz. At first I was worried I paid more than what I was going to get in return, but now I’m really glad I got that kind. They’re solid with a steel shim all the way through except for maybe the last inch and on the roller it says to use marine grease. It almost cranked back up as easy as the came off, which was a total relief for the shoulders. The cheap ones had about an inch opening through them which a nylon bushing at the end supported the 5/8 inch shaft for about an inch on each end.
    In a perfect world I would have found replacements like these for the 3/4 inch shafts but for the life of me I couldn’t find one reference Googling 3/4 inch keel roller shafts.
    The cheap ones go for around $10, the next up are about $15 and these I think one of my customers, Mikes Bait on 8, could have ordered for me for just over $22. But being me I didn’t want to wait so I went up and bought 3 of them for $25 a piece and one cheap one.
    But it ended up like the credit card commercial. Almost costly, but priceless. Now to fix the trailer lights again. This would be The Never Ending Story theme.
    WarrenMN

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I have an Eagle bunk trailer and yet never unfasten anything till the boat is backed in the water up to almost the front of the boat. Better to be safe than sorry. Boats are way too expensive, and to a fisherman its his sweetheart, so best to not have to go without her by wrecking the haul from my own stupidity [letting it come off the trailer too early].
    Thanks, Bill

warrenmn
    Minnesota

With this one, till I replaced those rollers it refused to come off the trailer with out a fight. The last time I wanted to drop it in the yard to work on the trailer I had to tie the boat to a tree and drive out out from under, down to the last roller.

It finally got to the point I had to mount a second winch on the trailer and run a loop of rope back to two pulleys, one by each bunk, then pull the loop back forward over the eyelet on the boat. Even that took some cranking. I’ve never had a boat that hard to get off before. I think what had happen was the old rollers were stretching out, pushing against the bracket on each side when the weight of the boat was resting on them.

It feels good now to have to worry about how easy it comes off and on the trailer instead of, do I really want to go fishing that bad.

WarrenMN

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Enjoy [you can now go fishin ]. Just remember to back the trailer in ”before” unhooking the boat.
    Thanks, Bill

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.