Ranger Reata 1850 – How much HP?

• pointman
    Blaine / Isle, MN

It appears that most Reatas are sold with a 150 4 stroke of various variaties. Is 150 enough?

Anybody own one that would give a guy a ride? I’m on Mille Lacs most weekends. Will trade ride for beverage.

PointMan

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

I know that dean down at everts has one. He also has the 150 yamaha 4 stroke on it. As far as I can tell that motor does just fine with that boat. I have not rode in one that is maxxed out yet so I dont really have a comparision there. I am sure dean will see this soon and will chime in with some more info.

KirtH
    Lakeville

Quote:

It appears that most Reatas are sold with a 150 4 stroke of various variaties. Is 150 enough?

Anybody own one that would give a guy a ride? I’m on Mille Lacs most weekends. Will trade ride for beverage.

PointMan

Hmmm…… I bet a cup coffee and some FRESH COOKIES could get you test ride from a certain fellow who owns one

Roadhunter2

Point Man:
    I purchased a Ranger Reatta 1850 New in June 2005. I have a 150 Yamaha 2 Stroke om it. I have not ridded in one with the max HP @ 175. I am happy with the 150 2 stroke at 100%. I’m sure 175 would be great / better. You can never have enough HP on the water. I have ski’d, tubed, fished, joy riden, etc and very happy. The 150 Yam’ie has good low torque out of hole ( planes nicely ) and yet I consider quite quiet overall – compared to older 90hp Evinrude. I love the 2 stokr Yam’ie to date. I’ve been on the water approx 6 vacation weeks as well as numerous trips here and there.
    The Reatta isa “Great Pic” for a fish / pleasure boat. My whole family feels the same way.
    150 2 stroke works for me. I would say top end at about 52 MPH.

b_sander
    Red Wing , MN

I fished out of Deans boat at Everts and it is VERY NICE BOAT!! But I dont think its a Reata.. I want to say it is the new version of the Reata, Its not a fish and ski its for fishing!!! But A SWEET BOAT!! IT does have the 150 on it! Smooth Ride on ruff water

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

I fished out of Deans boat at Everts and it is VERY NICE BOAT!! But I dont think its a Reata.. I want to say it is the new version of the Reata, Its not a fish and ski its for fishing!!! But A SWEET BOAT!! IT does have the 150 on it! Smooth Ride on ruff water

As much as I hate to admit it to you Brian, but you are right He doesnt have the reata, he has the angler. They are somewhat similar but not to close. There should still be some similarities though.

b_sander
    Red Wing , MN

IT FLOATS TOOO!!

sean-lyons
    Waterloo, IA and Hager City Wi.

Yeah, but Dean’s got the one piece boat, I hear the jointed Rangers suspend!

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Ok you guys…. ….LOL

Back to the question….is 150 enough?
    I have the angler which is the same hull as the reatta.The boat is rated for 175 HP.IMHO,the 150 is more than adequate,I have been told by folks with the 175 that they are getting about 2 mph more speed….for the cost difference,I felt the 150 was the best financial decision for that set-up.If the money difference is not a big deal for you,I would always recomend max Hp for you.You are more than welcome to a test drive if interested.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Test drive??? Where does the line begin Dean?

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’ve got two friends with this boat. One with a 175 Opti, the other with the 150 Yammy 4stroke. They did a little testing against each other on opener. I’ll try to get them to post, as I’m sure I don’t remember the details. The 175 had a better hole shot, even with more weight. The top end was about 4mph loaded down, I think.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

175 would be nice, but a 150 is within the 80% of the boat’s capacity. To my understanding, if you are 80% and higher, you will be fine.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Mercury 175 Pro XS if it were me I’m a firm believer of maxing the HP.

All depends what you want, Don’t think I’ve ran across anyone saying they are unhappy with the 150 4 stroke. Resale wise I don’t think it’ll make a difference.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Mercury 175 Pro XS if it were me I’m a firm believer of maxing the HP.

I’m with Nick, but I have heard a lot of people are satisfied with the Yammie 150.

175! 175! 175!

pointman
    Blaine / Isle, MN

Thanks everyone, very helpful.

If the 150 were vastly underpowered I would think there would be a number of horror stories out there. I would lean towards maxing a boat out, but it seemed so many were equipped with the 150 I had to ask. Also never have been in the range of a 150-175, so I don’t have feel for what is good or bad. The 80% of capacity comment is interesting and applies if I think of my past boats and motors.

Offer still stands, beverages for a ride if you are on Mille Lacs.

Thanks again!

PointMan

WalleyeDave

I have the 1850 with a 175 Opti, my buddy has the 1850 with a F150. We’ve both spent time in each others boat, they’re both nice setups.

Like Kooty said, I’m faster out of the hole and about 3 mph faster with a heavier load in the boat. With comparable loads in each boat there’s more difference. As you get heavier loads in each boat there’s more difference.

I’m a fan of DFI motors and I prefer to max the horsepower, but there’s nothing wrong with the F150 on that boat if you don’t mind giving up a little performance. The F150 is quieter than the Opti at low and mid throttle but as you get closer to the top end they get a lot closer to each other in volume.

One thing to consider is that boat has a wide hull and Rangers don’t have the reputation of being fast boats. I think the 1850 / 1860 could easily handle 200 HP, just like the Skeeter 1880 does.

Hope this helps.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

You say there was about a 3 mile hour difference between the 175 and 150…but what was the speed with the 175?

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Quote:

You say there was about a 3 mile hour difference between the 175 and 150…but what was the speed with the 175?

Oh, for crying out loud, don’t get him started. He’ll bore you with all kinds of mundain details. You really gotta watch these Ranger guys!!!

I’ve been in Dave’s boat(175) where we got as high as 53mph, but I think 50-51 is pretty “normal” for him under load.

pointman
    Blaine / Isle, MN

I’m less concerned about the top end speed, not much of a speed demon. More concerned about getting to plane. I had a friend with a Skeeter 1880, his 150 would not plane out until he ended up putting on a whale fin on his outboard.

Thanks again for the info.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

You won’t have a problem with either motor on the Ranger. Every now and then I like to leave the trim up a little and put the nose in the air , Makes nervous friends scared ,but If I trim all the way down on up on plane nice and quick (though I do not have a 1850 reata, I have a 190, and they are quite different)

Though I think you’d still have to tip the hat to the 2 stroke for getting up and on plane even comparing motors with the same horsepower, 2 stroke vs 4 stroke, That I’d venture would be the biggest difference.

ted-merdan

Just so we are clear here – Yamaha’s F150 is a second generation 4-stroke and a very stong one at that. I have ran it in both my brother-in-law’s 1850 and I have one on a bennington 2257 RFS triple pontoon (which does 41 MPH gps and I pulled an 18′ runabout to the champlin lauch @ 24 MPH upstream early last week). The F150 is a very stong motor and has an impressive amout of torque in my opinion.

I own an F250, F150 and a T8 for comparison…

KirtH
    Lakeville

One other thing I have heard about the F150 it actually puts out closer to 160 hp

pointman
    Blaine / Isle, MN

Quote:

Yeah, but Dean’s got the one piece boat, I hear the jointed Rangers suspend!

What does this comment mean? Never have owned a glass boat, so any info. would help.

PointMan

KirtH
    Lakeville

I think someone is strring the pot

birddog
    Mn.

The F150 is plenty for the 1850. I’m on Mille every weekend and many weekdays, give me a hollar if you want to set something up.

BIRDDOG

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.