Minn Kota Power Drive V2 Issues

• somann

I have a new PD V2 unit on a boat that I bought this year.. the trolling motor came with the boat. A few weeks ago I started having signs of problems. I would be trolling in a straight line, and the unit would take on a life of its own and start turning as if someone was standing on the foot control. I’d cut power to it and start again and it would be fine… then it happened again a while later. Now, the last trip I was on I was using the motor and all of a sudden it quits dead! I use the test to see what the battery level is and nothing shows.. like its completely out of power. I thought maybe there was a chance my battery was bad. A while later, pushing on the test button showed that I still had 3/4 charge, and the damn thing was working again…. then without warning, stops dead again. I checked the circuit breaker on the battery terminal but it was never tripped. Anyone seen these similar problems? Is it best to get a new unit or have this one serviced. I know my luck is that I will take it in and its gonna be a time its working and they are going to tell me there is nothing wrong with it. Any advice would help… Even if its a recommendation to switch to a different motor all together. This is a 55 Pound thrust Power drive v2.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

You’re under warranty so I would contact Minn Kota and ask for a replacement unit. They may want you to take it to a service center but if it’s me, I ask for a new unit, unless they have a simple fix. You may even be able to take it back to the place you purchased the boat and exchange it there, depending on their “return” policy. It’d be a minimum of 30 days, but I am guessing you’ve had it longer than that.

In general, the motor is new this year and it’s been well received. But, as will all electronics, there will be a percentage that go bizerk. I hope you’re able to get ‘er back on the water soon.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.