Sospenders

• outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

I was just curious how many of you own one or have thought about it. I went out and bought one after my incident while wading in a river fly fishing. Just thought I would get some feed back on how all of you like em. Lesson learned!

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I have the Mustang ones which are similar, and I love mine. I rarely notice that I have it on.

You should be very happy with your purchase.

CVFishing
    Eau Claire, WI

I have a Stearns inflatable and I love it. I use it both in the boat and while ice fishing.

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

i bought one after haveing a similer incident to yours. there are a lot of pro’s and con’s to them for use as wadeing, but they are nice to have for fishing in general

chuckles
    Manchester, Iowa

We really had a good laugh at a guy who accidentally inflated his sospenders while walleye fishing in the boat next to us this spring – he was very flustered – that said we have and use them. For the wading you really should wear a belt around your waist – it does an amazing job of trapping air below the belt – with some practice in a pool with friends there to help you get the feel for it you can master floating with the air trapped there – keep in mind the sospenders will be a great option also. Be safe – too many drownings already this year. Chuckles

johnnyb
    Davenport, Ia

I purchased my two seasons ago and love it. I think you made a good choice.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I fish at night. I’m always worried about clients (generally two) getting flustered when a fish comes to the boat when we are all standing…one guy on the fish…me with the net and the other with the spot light.

With regular PFD’s on hot nights, I’ve been letting the customers take them off because of comfort. So I’ve been looking for something that can be worn all the time. One of the problems with the Sospenders was that I couldn’t put a jacket on over them…it gets cool and sometimes cold on the ride home at 1 a.m.

I found a company out in NY that makes a 3-1 PFD and so far my customers and I haven’t had any complaints…in fact I’ve been getting compliments on them.

When I say three in one, I mean I can wear it as inflatable vest…light weight and cool for the daytime ride.
    Then as the night goes on, I can zip on the sleeveless outer jacket. It’s water proof and breathable.
    For the ride home…on go the sleeves to keep the wet chilly air from making me shiver.

What’s more important to me is when a person falls out of a boat, it will inflate within 10 seconds and turn a face down unconscious person up right.

Because it can be worn in a wide range of tempuratures, it’s perfect for my cat trips when temps can range from 80 degrees when leaving Everts to the low 50’s on the ride back in.

I’ve only used them on three trips so far…but the combination of safety, comfort and professional appearance seems to fill the bill.

Float-Tech PFD<<<

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.