Best Fillet Knife (non-electric)

• showags
    Hastings, MN

Just a random discussion, but what have you guys found to be the best fillet knife? I am not talking about electrics, but rather best knife for filleting the smaller fish. I have always used Rapala’s knives but found they seem to lose their edge pretty quickly. What are your guys’ experiences?

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Leech Lake Knife Company, hands down the sharpest, most comfortable knife I have ever used.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

The best kind of non-electric fillet knife is a sharp one. I have several but my favorite is an old Fish Eagle knife. I can’t even remember where I bought it at. It has a black plastic handle and a black plastic sheath.

Eyehunter

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Quote:

Leech Lake Knife Company, hands down the sharpest, most comfortable knife I have ever used.

NO QUESTION!!!!!!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I like the regular rapala. Not the newer flex blade. I have one of those and think it’s too flexible. I also have a couple cheap Gerber fillet knifes that are shaped nice and work very well. I prefer the med size whatever that is. I think 10″? These knives last so long I cant justify the cost of the high dollar ones even though they are very nice.

hawgstatus
    Moundsview, MN

I won a cabelas gift card last year and it was burning a hole in my wallet so I went there and walked around looking for something that I normally wouldnt “test” my own money on. I ended up at the knife counter and saw they had a couple fancy looking fillet knifes. That got me thinking about how many Rapala knives I have burned through in my life and I did the math and knew that I was wasting money on those things. The quality of the steel they use is schwag, you can get them sharp, then literally peel off the strip of metal that you just sharpened. Yes, I do own several quality knife sharpeners and know how to use them properly. Its just the quality of steel that Rapala uses (or whomever makes those) is inferior.

Anyway I looked at one of the Gerbers and wasnt happy with the flexibility, steel was quality, but it wouldnt be too good for cleaning fish, especially skinning them. I then asked to look at the Wustof knife, good flexibility, nice long narrow point, quality handle, awesome steel. I think it was around 80 bucks. Its cleaned hundreds of perch, walleye, and crappie and it keeps the edge nice. It will get dull as all knives do but the difference is it will get sharp again and stay sharp longer. I havent mentioned the best part yet, it has Cabelas name on it so if it ever gets mutilated its going right back for full replacement!!!!

my .02 cents

fishsjj

I have basically used two knives during my 40 years of cleaning fish. They are, Chicago Cutlery and Dexter Russel Sani-safe knives. Both are excellent knives with steel that holds a sharp edge for a long time. Both of them are lifetime guarentees. Also, they do not cost an arm and a leg.

timmy

Dan finished this topic – hands down.

Tim

shaley
    Milford IA

I have never used a Leech but currently own an Easly I have had for going on 19 years and see no reason why it won’t still be cleaning my fish for another 19. Cant find their address but they are a family knife maker located in Western NE.

KirtH
    Lakeville

I like my Leech Lake knife

shermanator
    Nebraska

I think I have an Easly knife also. Once I got a hone that was meant to sharpen it, it has been golden.

fireline
    Rochester

Dan, do you have an address or web site for Leech Lake Knife company ? thanks

jeff korsmo
    Cresco, Ia

chicago cutlery is a very good knife for the price

gregory
    Red wing,mn

leech lake knife hands down

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Leech Lake Knives are also available at Scheels, I looked at one, and that is the direction I’ll be going. $100

CVFishing
    Eau Claire, WI

Another vote for Leech Lake.

gobig-or-gohome
    Lake Minnetonka area

Quote:

I won a cabelas gift card last year and it was burning a hole in my wallet so I went there and walked around looking for something that I normally wouldnt “test” my own money on. I ended up at the knife counter and saw they had a couple fancy looking fillet knifes. That got me thinking about how many Rapala knives I have burned through in my life and I did the math and knew that I was wasting money on those things. The quality of the steel they use is schwag, you can get them sharp, then literally peel off the strip of metal that you just sharpened. Yes, I do own several quality knife sharpeners and know how to use them properly. Its just the quality of steel that Rapala uses (or whomever makes those) is inferior.

Anyway I looked at one of the Gerbers and wasnt happy with the flexibility, steel was quality, but it wouldnt be too good for cleaning fish, especially skinning them. I then asked to look at the Wustof knife, good flexibility, nice long narrow point, quality handle, awesome steel. I think it was around 80 bucks. Its cleaned hundreds of perch, walleye, and crappie and it keeps the edge nice. It will get dull as all knives do but the difference is it will get sharp again and stay sharp longer. I havent mentioned the best part yet, it has Cabelas name on it so if it ever gets mutilated its going right back for full replacement!!!!

my .02 cents

I got one for my dad for fathers day last year and it has been working great too.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.