Best Fish Scale

• showags
    Hastings, MN

I like to compare length to weight of species of fish per a certain body of water and looking for the most accurate scale to do so. Obviously I dont want to take each fish to a certified scale, but rather measure and weigh right in the boat. What do you guys use for the most accurate, handheld scales? There are a bunch of brands on the market and was just wondering what experience you guys have with handheld scales. Do you prefer the hook style or lock jaw style? Just looking for opinions. Thanks

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

It’s been a while since I’ve done tests on hand held scales, when they first came out I was working at a place with calibrated masses available. But what I can tell you is to be aware of ambient temperatures when compareing weights. The old Normark scales would swing wildly when exposed to different temps, weighing heavier than normal in cold weather compared to warm weather. As much as a 9 ounce swing over a temperature range of 30 degrees.

showags
    Hastings, MN

Thanks for the temperature advice. Does that hold true for digital scales? What does everyone else use?

walleyejohn

A large number of anglers from our club use Chatillon Series Mechanical Scales. They are available in a number of models with capacities from 2 pounds to 100 pounds.
    We are fortunate that one of our members has a source for these (they are a bit expensive) and he will calibrate your scale for you should you want to check the accuracy from time to time.
    Good Luck

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.