Inflatable Life Vest

• lunker
    Arcadia, WI

I’m considering making the purchase of an inflatable life vest for a couple of reasons. First would be comfort, they appear you could leave them on all day, never having to remove it keeping my boat alot more organized. Secondly storage space for these would be minimal which would be very nice. Looking for any advice, pro’s or con’s from folks that have experience with inflatable vest. I guess my concern is if wearing on a rainy day or on humid days do they activate? Any recommended brands? Thanks Lunker

KirtH
    Lakeville

I have one a Stearns, I like it for the reasons you said, I never take it off, it is comfortable. No it doesnt do anything in rain or humidity.

Now if you have kids, they like to pull on the red handle

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I love mine, I got a Mustang from Jolly Ann Marine.
    I mainly fish shallow rock filled water, if I ever loose my balance and fall out I could hit my head and be unconscious. It is the least that I can do for my wife and kids, even though she might tell you otherwise
    I have only used it this spring so far BUT really like it. I think that most companies have got rid of the false triggers. The Mustang I have is set to expand when it get into 4 inches of water, it must be some sort of pressure gauge.
    Ron

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Yup I love mine too, one thing to be aware of, it needs to be worn to count as a lifejacket, unlike a regular PFD, which you can have laying about, the inflatable need to be worn to count. Again that shouldn’t be much of an issue, we bought the to wear ’em right?

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Yep, Nick is right. It will not be counted IF not worn at all times.

Suckerminnow
    Stillwater, MN

I bought mine from Bass Pro Shops. They have an auto-inflating model made by Mustang for Bass Pro. I paid $119 on sale which is the best deal I could find. I almost paid $180 for the Mustang label on ebay but I got the same thing from Bass Pro. I love it!! It’s so light that you forget that you are wearing it. Be sure to get the auto-inflation model – my opinion.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

I would suggest wearing your inflatable life jackets at all times.

All of my inflatables “newer” are coast guard aproved and do not have to be worn to count as life jackets as far as I can tell.

Boat Regs.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

They granted approval as Class V PFD’s…that act like Class III… Class V must be worn to count as a PFD.

Quote:

Type V-PFD-Special Use Device- A Coast Guard approved Type V PFD may be carried in lieu of a Type I-III PFD, if the Type V device is approved for the activity in which the craft is being used. (Note: Type V devices are approved for specific and restricted uses and may have to be worn to be approved.)

Quote:

* Boats: It is unlawful to operate any boat (including inflatables and innertubes) unless at least one of the following type PFD’s of the proper size is available for each person on board:

Type I = Wearable Type PFD’s
    Type II = Wearable Type PFD’s
    Type III = Wearable Type PFD’s
    Type V = Must be worn to be legal when boat is underway

In addition to the above, each boat 16 feet or longer except canoes or kayaks must have at least 1 Type IV PFD–Buoyant cushion or ring buoy on board.
    ALL PFD’S MUST be placed in the boat so that they are readily accessible.

If I thought I was going to fall out of my boat today…I would have worn my PFD when I got out of bed this morning. ~ Briank

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Yep, started wearing one this season. I bought the Cabela’s brand. It’s comfortable and I don’t even know it’s on.

I bought it only to be safer, like a seat belt in the car, and I don’t have to answer questions from my kids as why they have to wear one and I don’t.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.