depth finder problem

• cweber01

my buddy just bought a new lowrance and the sonar part seems to be on the fritz. I think it’s a lcx 18c. the depth is stuck at 1.3 feet. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong? I think the transducer might be bad. He was going to put it on the lift tonight see if he could hear it pinging. I guess I don’t have very many details, but thought I’d see if anyone had any ideas.
    Thanks

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

Just a shot in the dark here but what other types of electronics is he running. I know my 480M will lock my X-65 up at a depth of 1.6 feet. My quick fix is to shut the 480 off and restart it then it clears up. I believe my problem is tha transducers are too close and the more powerful unit is causing the weaker unit to freeze up. Going to have to move the transducers further apart and hope it fixes the issue.

danno
    Central MN

If it’s easy to access, you should be able to reach over and put your hand under the transducer and feel it pulsing/clicking so you don’t have to put it on the lift. This may not mean that everything is working properly though, but it might be the first step.

Another shot in the dark here but I’m not sure what happens if the locator is set to the wrong frequency. In other words, if the transducer is a 200kHz but the locator is set to 50, maybe there is a compatibility issue there. I’ve never tried it so I don’t know what happens if they aren’t matched. I know there is a setting on my LCX-28c to set the xdcr frequency.

Matt M
    Blaine, MN

In the sonor mode go to the menu option and make sure the “stop chart” option is NOT selected.

Just a thought

Matt

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.