Merc. 90 hp tiller ??

• trapsht
    Rockford, Il

I recently purchased an 18′ triton modifiedV w/ a90 hp Merc tiller. It runs great, but I’m having a heck of a time controlling it. I have to hold on with 2 hands to keep the boat straight(always wants to veer right). Any suggestions??

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Check and adjust the trim tab on the lower unit.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

Check and adjust the trim tab on the lower unit.

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

you are getting talented with your responses Ron. balloons and now a sign. wow

also will third the trim tab.

Broncs

jbongers
    South St. Paul, MN

that or else trim the motor up some when your running.

walleyejohn

I have run tillers for quite a few years and I agree with the other posters. You will need to balance the tensioner on your motor & trim tab based upon the normal weight & load you carry. It will take a while to get used to it but once the experimenting is over it will be much easier to control.

Good Luck

danno
    Central MN

Just went through the same thing with my 90 Yamaha. It was a real bear to drive and wanted to go right also. The trim tab was already a little right to begin with, but I gave it some more in that direction and now it’s much more comfortable to drive.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

give steve fellegy a call, his number is at the bottom of all his posts. he ran a 90hp mercury last year, he will be able to give you a few pointers…………tom fellegy

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

Feel free to call anytime!

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

if all else fails, try eating some wheaties. that is the breakfast of champions, now that i quit drinking a few years ago……tom fellegy

danno
    Central MN

If his Merc is as bad as my Yamaha was, no amount of Wheaties will help. I wouldn’t let the strongest guy I know drive my boat before I adjusted the trim tab, and I’m no 90# weakling myself..

saguarokid
    Waterloo, Ia

Just got done adjusting my trim tab (90 merc.) Difference between night and day!! When your standing in back of the engine turn the tab to the right..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.