Drift sock ?

• Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

I’m thinking about picking up a drift sock for my boat which is a 1850 crestliner sportfish. My question is should I get just one extra large or go with say two medium or large? I haven’t that much experiance using drift socks so any input would help alot.

deerwoody
    Deerwood,MN.

You would be better off with one.Cabelas has a good price on there socks.

DasBoot3
    St Peter MN

I have a Sportfish 1850 and do a lot of drift fishing. The boat has a large amount of freeboard and a 15 mph wind on a big lake will make you start to believe that you have a sail up. I started with a Cabelas Large drift sock and found out that on Winnie or Mille Lacs, it only changed the drift attitude but I was still flying. I have a Driftcontrol large (60″) amidships on windy days and when its really blowing and they’re biting I put the big one on the bow eye and the Cabelas one on a transom eye. Don’t underestimate how big of sock you need – get one two sizes bigger than what you think you need.

TazTyke
    Central Minnesota

I have the same boat and the x-large was not big enough to slow you down to the 1.5 in a wind like we had on Sunday and Today. I bought a 3XL from Cabelas and used this weekend. I was very happy with that one. I think the first one was 44″ and this one is a 66″. No matter what size you buy it will be to big or to small depending on the wind. I would buy 2!

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I run two 54 inch. One off the bow and transom. When the wind blows really hard, sometimes drifting can be the only option and two socks will slow you down better and keep the boat straight.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Like DJ drifting live bait on LBDN with my 1750 is my main technique …I need a 44, 54, and 70″ to cover the fishable possibilities…They will really bite sometimes in a very nasty blow!

Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

Do you guy’s also buy the marker bouy’s that go with it?

Don Hanson

Go with two socks, there will be many times when one will not do the trick.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

We used two on Red all weekend and noticed something I will pass along. The cabelas brand is sweet. Rigid material and excellent float made it a joy to deploy. Just set it and forget it. The other one was an older name brand and that thing actually fought back when trying to deploy…..

jd318
    NE Nebraska

I’ve got 2 of the Cabela’s drift socks. The built in floats and built in weights make them very easy to deploy. The material is thick and durable. I really like mine. I know there are other brands out there that work really well also. Just wanted to let you know the Cabela’s brand work well for me.

JD

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.