Secondary Fuse Panel

• walleyejohn

Installing a secondary fuse panel off the main shut off switch and I would like to know how large a wire I need to feed this 12 unit fuse panel. It will be used mostly for electronics and low amp items.

Thanks for your help,
    Walleyejohn

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

I did this in my last boat and ran a 10 guage wire with an inline fuse. If all you’re using it for is locators and small lights and such,…that would be fine. The small panel I bought had a 10 guage specification on the install instructions. It is nice to have a secondary fuse panel in the boat

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Took the old circuit analysis book just to be safe. You are fine running up to 50 amps through a 12 guage wire 10 feet long. Thats being extra safe. So I would recommend a 10 or guage wire with a 20 or 30 amp inline fuse off the breaker. Unless your main breaker is rated for less than 50 amps. I wouldn’t think you’d be running anything near 50 amps total. But then atleast you’re set up for the future. I used mine to run my MarCum on the Bow and all my locators, cig lighter for the spotlight and a few interior lights.

fireline
    Rochester

Matt , I’m thinking of adding a secondary fuse panel also . I not very good with electronics . Where or how do you get the power ,from the primary fues panel or do you split it before it goes into the primary panel ? Thanks

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

I started right from scratch and went off the cranking battery to the new panel. It would be completely possible to run a line out of your existing panel from an open extra fuse spot. But what a pain in the trying to tie into that existing panel. It might be easy on some boats i guess. It was just easier for me to start all new and run a new line from the battery. It probably isn’t a good idea to split that existing main power line. It may void warranty and who knows what other troubles can come from that.

fireline
    Rochester

Thank You Sir .

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.