Power Pro vs. Fireline

• walleye1274
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I have used Fireline for many years, but tried Power Pro last year. I really like the Power Pro and am thinking about switching to all Power Pro. What have you guys found while using these lines? Thanks again!!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

They “fish” similarly but the Power Pro lasts longer. In my experiences fireline gets the “frizzies” which seems to affect my dive curve and the longevity of the product.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Quote:

They “fish” similarly but the Power Pro lasts longer. In my experiences fireline gets the “frizzies” which seems to affect my dive curve and the longevity of the product.

I agree.

I must also add I have had nothing but problems with fireline breaking on hooksets at the knot, and power pro is more user friendly in the knot depatment(although some knots are better than others).

Power pro all the way, I will not put Fireline on a reel again ever.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

I was going to say the same thing Holst did.

PP

Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

Does Power Pro have alot of memory?

tbird171
    Winona, MN

PowerPro, definitely. Tried the rest, don’t hold up. Change it yearly. If you’re trolling rocking areas, retie often. Love if for jiggin’, easy visual when it goes limp, pretty much no memory.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Does Power Pro have alot of memory?

Power Pro, as is typical with nearly all braids, has little to no line memory. This class of lines can be best described as “limp,” particularly in the thinner diameters us walleye guys use.

For trolling applications I’d like to suggest Spiderwire Stealth. This product is more durable, less expensive and wears longer than power pro or any other braid I’ve tried.

walleye1274
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Thanks for all the responce guys!! I guess there is no reason to buy any more Fireline!! I think I will be picking up some more Power Pro. Have you seen the red Power Pro yet? I may have to spool up a spare with that and see how it works.

Itec

Kind of interesting responses, I’ve decided to stick with Fireline over PP.

PP did not cast as well for me – I get better distance with light lures on fireline – significantly.

The response about knot strength made earlier is right on. PP has better knot strength, Fireline does have a tendancy to break off at the knot.

Thing is, when I need to break a superline, I pretty much ‘need to break it’. It’s cuz I’m snagged so bad, I’m not getting my lure back – so I just have to pull hard enough to break the line. With PP – It can break anywhere – I ONCE made the mistake of not backtracking, and broke it – it broke right at the reel. So much for that $13 worth of line – time to spool up.

Fireline breaks by the knot, for fraying – strip off some line – it still doesn’t break unless I ‘need’ to.

And – looking forward to more time with ‘crystal’ fireline, which is a feature not offerred by PP yet.

So, for me, it’s Fireline.

Now you’ve got both suggestions!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

With PP – It can break anywhere – I ONCE made the mistake of not backtracking, and broke it – it broke right at the reel. So much for that $13 worth of line – time to spool up.

I’ve never had that happen but that would definitely get me steamed.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve seen the red–I could take it or leave it. I like my moss green.

Jim K
    Mpls, Mn

This is subject that is really close to home for me. Years ago, fireline was absolutely the best (IMHO). I remember pulling up a barbecue grill grate off the bottom of the river vertical jigging with 6lb fireline. That stuff was tough! But in recent years I’ve had problems with the line breaking at the knot. I mean 8lb line would consistently break with 5lbs of pressure-I measured it on my digital fish scale. I’ve tried a bunch of different lines, but still liked fireline for it’s castability, and no problems with it coming off the reel-ever! I had problems with Power Pro getting goofed up coming off the spool. I also liked pink Fire Line for high visability. I use high vis line a lot and it’s the easiest line for me to see-it may be different for others. I think Berkley knew they had a problem with knot strength. Recently, I found out that the Berkley R&D department came up with a new knot, at least, I’ve never seen it before, (I’ve always used the Palamor knot), it’s called the “Berkley Braided Knot”. I think this may be the answer for me. I’ve tested it, and have found the line to consistantly hold over 12lbs of pressure for 8lb line. I have high hopes this year for Fire Line. ;

gobig-or-gohome
    Lake Minnetonka area

I always use the Trilene knot I have not heard of the braided knot and never had any problems with the line breaking.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

If you “Like” the feel of Power Pro, you will “Love” the feel and performance of Suffix Performance Braid. Much more durable around that first 4″ of line coming off a crank where it takes the most abuse.
    I use the 4# diameter and love it!!

walleye1274
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I have not looked at the Suffix lines as of yet, but maybe I should!!

scottsteil
    Central MN

Stren Super Braid for me this year for casting. I made the switch at the end of last year and have been very happy. For me it casts better than PP. I still use Fireline for flatline trolling though

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Power pro is the best. One thing I am learning is that you can’t just throw out the idea of retying however. I have broken off on some big fish and lost good swim jigs because of it. You still need to retie but when Kept in tip top shape, you can’t touch power pro. I have only used fireline once and it was on an ice rod, 6 lb test. What I instantly did not like is like James said, it gets fraid and frizzed up even without much use. You can actually stick your fingernail in between the fibers on it power pro is just quality quality stuff.

Sartell Eye Guy
    Sartell, MN

Jim K, do you have any more info on the new knot? I’ve always used a double or triple polamar for fireline, very few issues with knot strength. Thanks, Adam

gwilken

I find it interesting how different people have different experiences with the same line. I have been a Fireline guy for years and have had no issues with it. The only time it breaks is when I snag and that is the only choice. Then it does break at the knot but usually well above the line strength. I did spool all my reels with Power Pro two years ago and I did like it but did have a couple of issues. I did have a few wind knot issues but not enough to really be a problem. The problem that caused me the most grief was that I found it broke with almost no warning if the line oncountered any sharp edge of a rock for example. For it was much easier to break if it was pulled across a sharp rock. Probably just the way I fish but it did cost me a lot of gear. For what ever reason I don’t seem to have this problem with Fireline. Fireline is stiffer and doesn’t cast as far but for the ways I fish it just is more durable.

Sartell Eye Guy
    Sartell, MN

Thanks PierBridge, I’ll be giving it a try.

uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

I like PP for live bait rigs and trolling cranks but I don’t care for it as much for casting. I picked up some lime green fused Fireline this winter at the Berkley outlet store in Spirit Lake, IA and like that much better for casting jigs and cranks than the original smoke colored Fireline, but don’t have a lot of experience with it to comment on durability with extended use. The fused stuff has some memory and doesn’t tend to fray.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.