Minnow Traps

• riverbottoms

Awhile back there was a post about minnow traps.Which fishes better galvinized or coated?Have you ever used the old glass minnow traps? For me it seems like the glass traps will out fish the metal mesh or plastic traps.Orvis used to make them many years ago. The old ones like orvis made bring big money to the collectors.You can still buy them from Stream & Lake Tackle Inc.3305 Remembrance Rd.Grand Rapids Mi. 49504Phone (616) 791-2311They’re a little pricey, about $45 with s/h. but they sure fish great!

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I have 2 galvanized and 2 coated. The coated ones outperform the galvanized by a 3:2 ratio, so it is not a huge difference.

Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

What is the best bait to use in a minnow trap? Last summer I took my minnow trap to the Boundary Waters to catch some walleye bait but could not catch any minnows, even though I saw them around. After three days of trying, all I landed were two crawdads.

Thanks,

Curt

riverbottoms

Will-eye, About bait for minnow traps, with my glass traps I use crumbled cracker crumbs. The cracker crumbs bleach out in the water and float around inside the glass trap I guess drawing the minnows attention, plus a slight scent or food trail too. I heard where those who use the wire traps use dry dog or cat food as bait because it stays in the trap better than crumbled cracker crumbs. I would imagine tying cracker crumbs in a piece of old panty hose like a bait bag would work too on the wire traps, kinda like biting a crab pot. Most of the time my glass traps are placed in small creeks for regular creek minnows and creek chubs. Just below riffles for regular minnows, and holes for the chubs. On the river I’ll place them close to or around the mouths of the creeks, and the downside of a long shallow tapering sandbar and mark with with a float bouy. A foot or two deep is enough. A small piece of driftwood works great for a float and doesn’t draw attention to your minnow trap. Also some of the upside inside corners of wingdams is a great place for the river shiners too. In rivers and creeks funnel end of your trap always placed down stream. In lakes I would try around sand beaches at night funnel end facing out towards the lake so the trap won’t roll if the wind and waves come up. Hope this helps.Terry

Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

I never thought of using pet food. I’ll have to give that a try.

Thanks Terry

Curt

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.