Which spinning reel?

• timmy

Looking to pick up another spinning reel – mainly for rigging eyes. What do you guys recommend in the 60-80 dollar range? Anybody have any good experience with the cabela’s models? They look decent, but you never know….

Tim

walleye1274
    Chippewa Falls, WI

It is really hard to beat the shimano symetry!!

jhall
    Lake City, MN

I agree, I have three and love them!

fireman731
    Miles, Iowa

I just picked up 3 more of the Cabela’s Fish Eagle 2 2505’s, have had great luck with them, they are made for Cabela’s by Diawa….the come with the Diawa sticker still on the base. 5 ball bearings and 1 roller bearing…think they run about $30.00 for just the reel or $50.00 with a Cabela’s Pro Guide IM6 Graphite rod.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I have 5 symetre’s, think I like em ?

big g

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I just replaced my POS guide series reels with Symmetrys and Shimano Saharas. I’ve been a Quantum guy for a while. Now its Shimano.

Todd_NE

Bass Pro New Model

I know they are tough to get right now but they are worth it if you can find one. In the past I didn’t think very highly of some BPS reels but these are a home run. The casting is incredible too. TackleTour did a positive review on them also.

Otherwise, you never go wrong with Shimano or Daiwa.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Shimano Sedona…$49.99…Wonderful reel…RR

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’m sure there are lots of good ones out there but I have never had a reason to look beyond Shimano. I have never broken one and I have been buying them since 1988.

walleyewacker18
    Rice Lake, WI

You can never go wrong with a shimano reel. Top of the line for the money if you ask me!

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Sahara ($60) or Symetre ($80). There are a bunch of options out there, but you’ll hear over and over again that these two reels are winners.

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

Spend $10 more and get the Cabelas Prodigy which is really a Daiwa Capricorn for $20 less. Shimano makes great baitcasters and their spinning reels are nice too but for durability, a Daiwa HardBodyz spinning reel will eat Shimanos alive.

Cabelas also has the Tournament ZX which is a lower end Hardbodyz Daiwa for $70. Never tried it but it’s probably a safe buy as well.

I’ll never buy a Shimano spinning reel (broken EVERY one I’ve ever owned including the Stradic) as long as Daiwa makes these. Then again, I’m probably way harder on spinning reels than most guys on this board.

wheel10
    madison, wi

Pfleuger Presidents!!! I am selling all my shimano’s and switching em to Pfleugers. So smooth and well balanced. Do yourself a favor, and try one before you make a decision.

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

I am a true Shimano man my first one lasted me 19 years rod 18 but the reel lives on and is still bringing in the fish without any problems. It isnt even a spendy one it was my first reel that I paid more then 10 bucks for back then..

coppertop
    Central MN

I second Ma Deuce!! PLUEGER great reels and price!!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

What size reels are you guys using? Just picked up a couple of Sahara 750. Not to sure about the line cap of them.

I have a couple of capricorns. Not bad reals. Handles keep coming loose with use. There is a small metal pin in the handle that keeps slipping out. Bail springs are long gone also but I never did really use them anyways. These issues where the same on three reels.

walleye_wisdom
    Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home)

There is only one reason i advertise Shimano for free on my truck, because they are the best reels i’ve ever owned. (And they probably wouldn’t pay me… )

Symetre all the way. Bar far the best reels i’ve ever owned.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Pfleuger Presidents

I have two and will buy two more

scenic tackle
    Bemidji, MN

I have aslo switched most of my summer rods to Pflueger Presidents or Tica Libras. Pflueger’s have been very good to me the last few years.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

I have tica libras on most of my spinning rods. tried the shimano but it just didn’t feel right to me.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

For every guy that recommends a shimano, you’ll find a guy that likes diawa, or Pflueger, or Cabelas. I’ve been using Shimano since the mid 80s and haven’t had one fail yet. I like the Symetre best, but I also have about a half dozen Sedonas. I’ve tried the Pflueger president but find the Symetre weighs less and felt better on the rods I was putting them on. It’s all about personal preference. Some reels feel better than others on a specific rod. All the reels mentioned so far are decent reels.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I will second, third, 10th, the Shimano Symetre. I run some Stradics too, but for the money the Symetres are great. Yellowdog, funny that you bring up the Tica Libra. I have a couple Tica ice reels and I like them, but my brother has a Libra and he hates it. He still uses it, but I hear him whining about it all the time.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.