Repowering my Dominator

• JimJankowski

Hey guys I’ve got a question and I’m looking for some insight.I have a 1991 Alumacraft Dominator,right now I have a 1991 40 hp evinrude(tiller).I’m looking to max out my horsepower,(60hp)I have seen some posts in the past that some of you have had the same boat.My question is,will there be a noticable difference in power But more importantly,will it troll down for back trolling.I mainly fish for walleye,any in put would be greatly appreciated.I will probably buy a used motor since new is out of my budget.Any preference on motors? Thanks for your advice!

Jim

GrouseHead

I just changed the oil on my Yammy tonight. Love the motor, but if I was buying again I would go with an e-tec. A lot less maint with the bennys of a 4strk. If you find a used one, take it. That’s my 2 cent.

catmando
    wis

Had a 94 merc 60hp 2 cyl it was one great motor you would have to have a trollng plate or pail or drift socks to get under1.5 mph.i think my 1660 pro v was about the same size as your alumacraft.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I know you have a Dominator. This link I am providing is for a Navigator with a 60 Yamaha 4 stroke. It will be darn close.

Take a look at the data. It is pretty cool! One thing you will get with this motor is the best tiller handle on the market! Tilt, trim and starter right on the handle, not to mention you can dial down your RPM on the handle for ultra slow trolling too!

Can’t do that with any other motor. So what if you have to change oil once a year! Buy Amzoil and change it once every 2! Click here!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Tuckner, I have sat around and let this go for awhile, But I have to call BS and say that your statement is a bit misleading. It may be a technicallity where you are right, but there are “other” Motors where you can control the RPM’s for slower trolling. I have watched about 3 threads different where people claim Yamaha is the only one that can control their RPMs on there mid range 4 stroke tiller and they are not the only ones.

MERCURY has had this feauture (SMART CRAFT) and is nothing new for Mercury. They have had this technology for quite awhile. I’m glad to see Yamaha finally catch on! I know this technology for Mercury is available all the way down to their 40 HP 4 stroke and you can digitally adjust the RPMs all the way down to 550. I also know this technology runs all the way up to thier 300 HP Verados and 2225XS Optimax’s

So lets make sure you guys keep it clean and accurate.

cweber01

I have a 70 suzuki and I think it will idle down to 500-600. Mine’s counsol so I don’t back troll, so I don’t know what that would equate to in mph. Any way, I love the motor. Over 300 hrs with no problems

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

One thing you will get with this motor is the best tiller handle on the market! Tilt, trim and starter right on the handle, not to mention you can dial down your RPM on the handle for ultra slow trolling too!

Can’t do that with any other motor.

I looked all over Mercury’s website for a system to dial down the RPM on the handle. I couldn’t find it. Maybe you know of something other than this. But I know my back would get quite sore if I had to lean over to the side of the boat each time I wanted to make an adjustment. Do you know how much extra Mercury charges for Smart Gauges?

jldii

Well Tuck, it is coming out, but won’t be on the consumer market until January. I saw and touched the new tiller handle Mercury is coming out with at the Sportshow. There are 6 field test units in use right now in the upper mid-west, and a couple in use with some salt water rigs in Florida. These new handles have tilt and trim on the handles as well as the Digital Throttle System (DTS), hydrolic (Merten) steering, and are all compatable with the Smart Gauge System as well. There are several other very neat features on these handles I’m not going to mention, but when they come out, they will make Mercury the number 1 choice of motors for any and all tiller fishermen.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

I’m not going to mention, but when they come out, they will make Mercury the number 1 choice of motors for any and all tiller fishermen.

Pretty bold statement about a product that has not even been released yet.

Man, you Merc guys are touchy.

jldii

I hear you Tuck, and understand what you’re saying, but I know something you don’t, and I can’t say anything else right now!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

The only way that would happen is if Brunswick buys Yamaha! Don’t think that will happen.

I know what you are referring to, and it won’t be THAT big of a deal. Necessity is the mother of invention. You know what I mean.

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

Quote:

I also know this technology runs all the way up to thier 300 HP Verados and 2225XS Optimax’s

Hey lip did you get the 2225xs on your ranger??? It must scream
    J/K had to make fun of your type o

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Stick..

We are so used to him writing that way we just ignore it now!

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

Got a little nervious. thought maybe they were putin some thing a little bigger on those rangers. might of had to make a trip to the boat dealer

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

He still wouldn’t be able to keep up with yours.

I hope they don’t make yours slower when/if you get it back.

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

At least he has one to fish out of
    Should get mine back in 2-3 weeks all the new glass they added should slow me down

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.