Kicker/Trolling Options-Tiller Boat

• kornking
    Mount Vernon, Iowa

All:

I’ve been out here fishing in the upper Midwest now for almost 4 years. In that time I have developed some opinions on what is a good multi-species boat and am thinking of upgrading/changing my rig this year. The most major change is that I think I would be best served by a deep-V tiller boat-for, me, on these lakes and rivers, they seem to just have so much more control to keep you where you want to be.

Now my question-

I am looking at the following 16-17′ deep-V hulls; and will probably want to hang at least a 50 horse on the back. (both new and used-not listed in order of preference)

Mirrocraft (Aggressor)

Alumacraft (Navigator, Classic)

Lund (Pro Angler)

Tuffy (1700)

G3 (V172T)

I believe all these boats (maybe the Pro Angler and larger Navigator do) don’t have a “straight” transom, if that’s the right word-there’s a “dip” near the center where the engine sits.

OK. So, my question(s) is/are, how would I mount a 5-HP kicker along side, if the transom depth is different than in the center?

How hard is it to rig the kicker to share the same fuel tank? (assuming they use the same mix, of course)

Is it possible to order some of these boats with a “straight” transom?

I do a fair bit of trolling, and I think I would be well served by having a kicker on the back. Many have observed that its not good to run your big engine at such low RPMs for a long time as that might foul the plugs.

I could always use an electric in the back instead of a kicker, but realistically, would it be enough to pull one of these boats I am considering at trolling speeds in moving water (like the River)?

Appreciate any ideas or info!

Joe Jiacinto

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Extra long shafts are available in motors. I am sure there is a boat out there that will fit the bill with a *strait* transom. There are lots of kicker plate options on the market. I would assume there is a pretty easy way to mount the kicker on a plate, and link the steering so you can use the steering of your main tiller to steer the kicker.

I dont know how you can run 2 motors off one tank. I am sure there is a way. If not, your talking about a 5 hp kicker… tat will run all day on a small 3 gallon tank.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

One thing I would look at for that small of a boat and only having about a 50 hp motor I would look at an E-tech or the new yamaha. With the yamaha’s you can adjust the rpm’s with a knob and slow them way down therefore you would be able to troll down to about .5 mph. The E-tecs will also troll down well, they aren’t as easy to adjust as the yamaha’s but they do troll down well.

Just another option to consider when looking.

timmay

I have a 18ft. Crestliner Canadian with a 60hp Mercury 4-stroke tiller and I have no need for a kicker. If I am pulling crank baits or something that I need to go a little faster I troll forward. Lindy rigs,bottom bouncers, or anything else I need to slow down with I back troll. If I need to go slower yet (which is not very often) I drift or use my bow mount electric.

Tiller boat, 1 outboard, 1 electric, and a drift sock cover all my needs.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I agree with eric on some of the mid range motors now a days you may not need a kicker. My 75hp etech trolls down to 1.9 on a calm day on mille lacs. anything under 1mph I just run the bow mount. With that in mind I just couldn’t see spending the money on a kicker for running between 1.9 and 1 mph. trolling with a drift sock out or running the bow mount in reverse seem to get me threw those days when I need to hit that speed range.

As far as boats go I sure like me navigator for river fishing. The back end is huge and great for pitching off of. you ran also stand on the sides for pitching. storage on it allows me to keep 4 8’6″ and 8 shorter rods in the side. I could put the same amount on the other side if I wanted to also. The only down side is it is a wet boat. I would never keep it if all I fished was larger lakes.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

You may have some good concerns about running a mid range motor at slow speeds for long periods of time. My motor seems to be rough on the plugs doing that. Given that Im thinking I may still only go threw a couple of sets of plugs a year. The worse that has happened to me so far with worn plugs has been the motor wont run real smooth at 500 rpm. Still didnt stop me from fishing that day.

wilk71
    Albany, Missouri

I was thinking the same thing about the 4 strokes that are available now that can idle down low enough to troll. I have a 90 horse 2 stroke so in my case I have to have a kicker. If you do choose to hang a kicker on the back, you can easily tie into your fuel line if your kicker is a 4 stroke. All you need is to put a T into the line and the parts to do this are available at most hardware stores or boat shops. Ask at a local boat shop that rigs a lot of boats and they might show you how they do it. Kennedy in Cedar Rapids would probably show you what they use and I bet they would have the parts you need.
    Brian

rlamar
    Davenport, Iowa, USA

Kornking I have a lund pro angler with a merc 50 4 stroke, and I don’t have any problem trolling. It does great, however I fish the river which could make a difference, I always troll against the current, I have not tried trolling in a lake yet.
    Ron Lamar

kornking
    Mount Vernon, Iowa

All good ideas guys.

That new Yamaha deal is pretty cool-just did some reading up on it-like you said, you flip a switch and it revs way down. Also, that 4 stroke is way light, only 237# in a 60 horse-that’s a hair under my 50 E-tec on my present rig.

Anyone have any time on the water with this new feature? Of course, actual trolling speeds will depend on many factors, but has anyone been able to use this to get sub-1 mph speeds? Is anyone aware of any articles or field tests? This could be a really neat feature, if it really works well…

I’d prefer a new boat, but if anyone knows of anybody selling a tiller rig (~17′ fairly recent vintage-decent conditon), pass my contact info along. I’d need to sell my boat first though, to get some liquidity!

Joe Jiacinto

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I have been thinking about the VTS feature on the yamahas also. Being able to adjust speed like that is cool. Just haven t heard yet on how low of rpms it will go. Of course the etech guys say theres is the best. haven’t had a chance to talk to the yamaha guys yet.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I have the VTS on my 60 Yamaha. Backtrolling you can get under 1.0

Foward trolling 1.5

With the VTS feature you can get the motor down to a putt and it doesnt miss a beat. Fuel injection is also a great addition to these motors. Starts right up in very cold temps.

I have the Navigator 165 and have a transom mount minn-kota. I think I used the trolling motor two or three times last year. I have it on there more as a back up in case the big motor were to ever fail. You wont need a kicker with the motor/boat options you are considering.

One thing I would consider if your thinking of the Navigator. I would go with the 175 and a 75 HP motor if you fish three people alot. The 165 with a 60HP (max rating) is a bit under-powered when running three people and gear. The Navigator is a very wide spacious boat. A 60HP doesn’t do justice..

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

Feel free to call me to discuss all your ?? in this regard.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Mercury also has this low RPM digital control with their Smart Craft gauges, and this is available on the 4 strokes all the way down to 40 HP. It is also avaialbe on their Verados and Optimax. However, this is not new technology, like everyone thinks. Mercury has been doing this for quite a few years.

superdave
    NE IA

With a good mid range motor, and a drift sock, and a good 24v bow mount, you will be good to go. The few times you would need a kicker aren’t worth the extra money and the weight of dragging it around.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.