2002 yamaha f80

• jrdonicht

I purchased a 2002 yamaha f-80 tiller last year. It runs perfect at low speeds all the way up to wot.But it idles a little rough. I tried sea foam. Does anybody have one like this? Maybe I expect to much from a carb version outboard

impalapower
    Madison, WI

I had the same troubles on my F75 tiller, only when it was cold outside. Took it in, they pulled a few things apart and found nothing. They pulled some oil out of it so the dipstick would read halfway between add and full. It took care of the problem that day when it was cold, haven’t been out yet this season. What is the issue? I don’t know.

jrdonicht

It doesnt seem to matter whether its cold out side or not it still idles rough even when it warms up. Why would the oil level make it idle rough? It doesnt die it just shakes at idle.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

I can’t remember why. But it does sound rather silly. I’d contact a Yamaha service technician and find out. Maybe something is plugged beyond Seafoam cleaning it out. I know with some snowmobiles, guys had troubles idling but not operating. Cleaned the carbs and all was well.

jrdonicht

Thanks Kevin. Does anybody else own a carb version of a yamaha four stroke in this horse power? I would like to know how yours idles.

bob schroden
    Cold Spring, MN

I own a 2003 F60 on my Lund Pro Angler 16 tiller.

I was told to run Yamaha “Ring Free” in each tank of gas by the Yamaha mechanic when I bought it. He also told me to always run Sea Foam or Sta-Bil in my gas, all the time.

I have done both of these since new, and have never had any problems. It idles perfectly, and runs very smooth.

There is no doubt in my mind that any dirty carbs in ANY brand engine is not going to run correctly.

Talk to your engine mechanic, follow their suggestions, stick with what works.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Your F80 will idle rough if your carbs are out of sinc.

LundExplorer

I had a carbed F50, 4 carbs. They are known to be finicky regarding gumming up. I always ran 91 Non-oxy with Sea-foam.

The problem with mine was that the gas inlet fitting on the top carb loosened and allowed air in. This was the elbow fitting that connected the gas line to the carb. It loosened at the carb and eventually came right out. Motor quit out on the middle of Vermilion. Dad towed me in and we fixed it by pressing the fitting back in place.

The motor idled much better after it was fixed.

jrdonicht

Keep the info coming guys you are being a big help. I know the carbs are in synk because I own a synchronizer. I am not a bad mechanic. I just want to know if I should spend the time to pull the carbs off and clean them. The marine mechs around here just tell me to ” BRING IT IN” i ALSO HEARD ALSO THAT THESE CARBS ARE FINICKY.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

I’ve got an 01 F80 but not the tiller. Haven’t had an issue with mine at all. Run SeaFoam frequently.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.