Just a thought about universal sonars…

• nick
    Lakeville, MN

I was thinking a little about things yesterday (had to share)….

First off I have a ice ducer for my 337 (same as a 332) and I ended up using that out on the river one day before my universal sonar connector showed up, and it really did work good for me, I minimal issues, mostly caused by my other unit I believe. I actually think this worked nearly as good as the universal sonar, and no you don’t have the issue with the cable running around the trolling motor shaft if you are not running the universal sonar. The only downside to the ice ducer I can find it that even though it’s weighted to look down, current can and will push the trandsucer around a bit, and that can kind of throw off your readings, unless I’m really cooking down a shoreline ( which I normally don’t do anyways) or fishing a high current spot on the river, this isn’t much of an issue, I have fished it in good current before, and it still works, but sometimes I’m watching my jig and I lose sight of it un high current areas with this set-up.

So if you had a universal sonar that wasn’t working good for you, or if you didn’t have one at all, and are tired of breaking off your transducer cables on you trolling motor this may work out better for you, you just toss it over the side of the boat, the only catch being you do have to remeber to pull it back up before you take off across the water at mach 2.

Not sure why I just thought of this now, basically I’ve been doing this for years with my lx3 and ice ducer…

BTW the universal sonar (2) on my Terrova seems to work perfect, but I’ll be keeping my ice ducer as a backup just in case.

cweber01

I did the same thing on a Canadian fly in although I did for get to bring it in the boat a couple of times
    anyway, I agree…good idea for a backup, but I love the universal sonar

gobig-or-gohome
    Lake Minnetonka area

Good thing it was not yours The dent has not affected the performance over the last few years.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.