what side of transom for kicker motor?

• pistolpete

I just got a kicker and getting it installed next week…I have a Lund explorer single console…I am planning on using it for trolling from the console and back-trolling with the tiller handle…i was gonna put it on the left side and then I started thinking that it might be easier to have it on the console side so when I am using it from the handle that I would be closer to my electronics at the console ..I also thought that setting up this way would be outta the way of the guy sitting next to me…

any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated…Thanks!!!!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I keep it on the left to help distribute weight when I am fishing alone for one. Two, I fish with my right hand and use the tiller with my left. Always have. So it feels natural to keep it that way. Do you have the option of putting an inexpensive fish finder in the back?

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I think it all comes down to perosnal preference, there is not right or wrong way, just what fits you best. Things should be considered like Tuck said. If I just had a Kicker motor and no Electric Motor, I would have my kicker set up on your console side as I ‘m left handed (No wise cracks from the peanut gallery). That way I could keep the rod in my left hand and tiller arm on the right and have easy access to view my electronics, like you mentioned. What I did was sit down in the boat with rod in hand and walk through each fishing presentation scernario you plan on using with the kicker and think through where your electronics are can I sit for hoursrs and view my electronics from this position, where will the 2nd, 3rd or even 4th guy in the boat fish, will it interefere, where will you keep the net, can you fish for this position , see everything, etc.

Good Luck with your decision.

scottsteil
    Central MN

I always recommend passenger side, the boat seems to ride better that way. But, you will see it both ways. I think it balances the weight better for me.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Especially for me ’cause I am fat.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Tuckner, We do not consider you fat, we have decided that you are just “big boned”.

scottsteil
    Central MN

If it does not matter to you personally what side it is on, I would look where your batteries are mounted. You don’t want all the weight on one side of the boat, it will want to tip to one side or the other when you launch off a wave….not that I have ever done that

pistolpete

thanks for the posts!!!…I’m getting the boat outta storage this weekend and will check it out…i’m right handed so I’m thinking that the left side might work best…I wanted to avoid putting more electronics back there, but I can already see which way this is going to have to go…thanks again!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.