Rod Holder Recommendation Wanted

• walleyechaser1

I want to install some rod holders on the Warrior this year. Anyone have a good recommendation for a tough, convenient setup? Lots of choices out there, but was hoping for some friendly advice.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I have used Roberts/Atwood rod holders for years and they worked fine but I have switched to RAM rod holders for my bigger boat the last couple years and really like them better. They give you more height, easier to take the rod out of the holder quicker and are made with a stronger material.
    Thanks, Bill

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I like Scotty’s rodholders with the extensions.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I would use rails if you don’t already have them on the Warrior. They make everything a lot more versatile and you don’t have to drill as many holes in the glass.

scenic tackle
    Bemidji, MN

I put DriftMaster rod holders on my boat last year and have been very pleased with them.

mdokken
    Bloomington,Mn

I’ve got flush mount RAMs on my Warrior. They work great.

toddcarnes
    Milan IL

I like the rams for the front, and the scottys with extensions for the back.

walleyechaser1

All great feedback. Lenny you indicated the rails would be a good choice for flexibility and would reduce hole drilling. A dumb question – wouldn’t you have to drill holes to install the rails or is there another mounting system here. Thanks to all who posted feedback.

jhalfen

You need to drill holes either way. It beauty of the rails is that it’s far fewer holes. THen you can use the rail mount rod holders and move them anywhere on the rails. Otherwise, you’ll need 4 screws for every side-mounted rod holder base. I have 2 on each side of my boat….4 holes X 2 holders X 2 sides = 16 holes. Now, what if you want to adjust the position of those holders? 16 just turned into as much as 32, whereas the rail-mounted rod holders can be moved anywhere along the length of the rail and not require more drilling.

Oh, and by the way….RAM mounts for this guy!

rangerski
    North Metro

RAMS mounts are the way to go, you can tweak them to your likings and they are quick to take down if needed. One thing to make sure you buy the ball mount style, I bought the RAM fixed type for the front and wish I would have spent the extra money for the ball style all the way around! my .02 Good luck, cant wait to long line some Raps on the Croix!!

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

I only use RAMS on the rails in the back of my boat. I also put side mount RAMS on the bow. When I get a bigger boat, I’ll probably put short rails on the bow too so I can side the holders where I want them to go.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

RAM on RAILS gets my VOTE.

Dave G
    Rochester, MN

I have had Rams, Scotties (Quick Draw and 360 HT), & Drift Masters. I only use spinning rods for all presentations (even lead core trolling), and often fish Pool 4 plus a small lake.

The Drift Masters do not easily adjust, the Rams on the port side of the boat do not work well with spinning rods, and I almost lost a couple rods with Scotties Quick Draws. Only the Scottie 360HT have been rock solid reliable for my spinning reels and the type of fishing I do. This last summer I removed my last Ram holder and replaced it with a Scotties 360 HT. Compared to the Scottie 360 HT, the Rams just do not work well for my type of fishing (I even lost a Ram holder when it got caught in the net, also lost the fish).

So, depending on your rod/reel set up and they type fishing you do, different brand holders may work better in different situations.

Dave Gulczinski

coot
    North Central Wisconsin

I have had both Roberts & RAMs on previous boats. Not a big fan of the Roberts. Had a couple snap/break while trolling. Speed trolling cranks in the stumps on Petenwell can be a little hard on equipment. Always found the rod locking device on the Roberts to be difficult to operate. On the plus side, they are usually quite reasonable in price. Had RAMs on the last boat, the ratchet style, not the ball style. The negatives for me were – the latch to lock the rods in the holder was weak. Rods would pop loose on tight turns pulling boards. The rod holders also just seemed too loose in the bases. They would wiggle free pulling the boat down the road. The plusses out weighed the negatives in my book. RAMs are well constructed & I liked their ergonomic design. I also liked the extra heighth without having to purchase an extension. I bought Cabelas (Scotty) holders for my new boat. A buddy has them and they’ve worked fine, plus the price was right. If you’re close to a Cabelas, you can buy them bulk, no packaging, and save a few bucks. My new boat has rails, so I’m hoping they give them enough extra heighth, otherwise I’ll probably purchase the extensions. Hoping I like the Cabelas holders as good as the RAMs and that they take care of some of the things that I thought were negatives about the Roberts and the Rams. Just my opinions.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

RAM re-designed the bases and they are not loose anymore. I just installed a set and they are nice and tight. I agree that the Roberts are brittle, especially in cold weather. I also broke the set I had several years ago. Maybe they have changed?

-J.

walleyechaser1

Man, I knew I came to the right place when I posted my question. Again, many thanks for your insight. I need to be educated on the extensions especially for the back of the boat. Can someone clarify? Also, is there a preferred seller or brand on the rails if I go that route.

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

Scotty and Cabelas have served me well for the past 4 years

scottsteil
    Central MN

I used the Cabela’s (Scotty) brand for two years and have used RAM the last 4 years. Both are extremely tough, I have snagged many a dock with them and neither will break.

I think the RAM’s are a little more versatile and sit a little higher up, so I do prefer them. But, I did like the Scotty’s from Cabela’s also.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.