2 stroke E-Tech, VS 4 stroke outboards (40-60hp)

• somann

Which way does the scale tip when all things are considered? cost, maintenance, reliability, decibel level, resale? In a nut shell, what would anyone with knowledge of both motors recommend. I’d like a quiet, smooth-running motor. Thanks

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Here we go again! You should get a TON of opinions.

heitda
    Eau Claire, WI

70hp 4-stroke Evinrude runs very, very quiet. Everyone I’ve taken fishing is really surprised how quiet it runs. Some of the other guys call it the stealth motor. A lot of times you have to look at the engine to tell when it’s actually idling. Of course if you open it all the way it still makes noise.

Mercury 4 stroke was at least twice as loud. You should listen to them yourself at a boat dealer before you make a decision.

I don’t have any knowledge on the 2 stroke E-Techs. However, a lot of people have had good things to say about them in the first couple years.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Quote:

Which way does the scale tip when all things are considered? cost, maintenance, reliability, decibel level, resale? In a nut shell, what would anyone with knowledge of both motors recommend. I’d like a quiet, smooth-running motor. Thanks

We have 40hp e-tecs here for the resort rentals.They are awesome!Maybe not as quiet as the 4-strokes but close.IMHO,in that hp range it would be hard to go wrong with either the 4-stroke or e-tech.If you are a tiller guy however,the yamaha has an adjustable rpm feature which is great for certain applications.Other than that,I would really advise you to consider where your best service after the sale may come from,NONE of the motors are perfect.Good Luck!

Todd_NE

I’ve recommended the 60 hp Mercury EFI four-stroke to a number of friends. Everyone of them has said it’s the best motor they’ve ever owned. Some comments have been – good starting, smooth idling and powerband, miserly on fool, no bad exhaust smell, no returns for warranty work. One buddy of mine literally runs his 20 hours every weekend from May-September. He will be on either his 3rd or 4th season this year and it’s been flawless. He has it as a tiller on a early 90’s 1800 ProV and is very very very happy.

That said, I don’t think you can buy a bad motor anymore. You might work back from who you think is a better dealer.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

That said, I don’t think you can buy a bad motor anymore. You might work back from who you think is a better dealer.

Ditto. They all ar so close, I think it dpends on the dealer you buy it from more than anything if you are undecided on which one to buy.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

The scale tips to truly what you need and fits you.

If you are tight on a budget, that probably means you are a “weekend warrior” and probably recreational fish, and probably smaller waters with that size of motor.
    Being on a tight budget, there is NOTHING wrong with your typical, 2-stroke carbed motor. They are honestly BULLET PROOF and require very little maintence to run!!!

If you are a troller, running a tiller, I think it is probably better to go 4-stroke. Just because being back by the motor is less smoke/odor/noise. But more maintence does come with a 4-stroke over your simple 2-stroke carb motors. There is also a price-tag that is a bit higher to add into the compensation.

E-Tecs, I have very little experience and exposure to them. But from what I’ve seen, they are low maintence, low noise, high torque motors. Almost in the middle of the road in my opinion of the basic 2-strokes and 4-strokes.

I’ll be honest, I have two very, very close friends with Merc 115hp and a Merc 125hp, carb 2-stroke motors. Both are 1999 class. Both have been absolutely BULLET PROOF and only one has had the water impeller replaced. Both motors have many hours on them. Many hours, including many, many trolling (idling) hours.
    They are a simple entry-line motor that just runs and runs and runs.

They are not quiet motors like the 4-Stokes and they are not fuel efficient like the E-Tecs, but for what you pay, you sure can buy a lot of gas and basically zero maintenance save a person a lot of money too!

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

What is all this 4 stroke maintance about? I have a 90 honda now for 3 years and just doing the basics before putting it away and pulling it out are all I have done and I have never had a problem. Is there something else that I am missing?

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Bucky, you are not missing anything at all.

It is just that the 4-stroke requires more than your typical 2-stroke. Oil change and belt-maintenence are two items that immediately come to mind vs. oil injection and no belts on a 2-stroke.

2Fishy4U

Dean kinda nailed it.

The E-Tec’s are quite, but not as quite as the four strokes. They make up for it in performance. The best four stroke in that size, in my opinion is the Suziki. My son owned one and traded for an E-Tec, but the Suziki was so quite you literally could barely hear it when it was running. With the four strokes I am sure Yamaha is also worth a look.

As for Merc’s, please avoid.

Dave G
    Rochester, MN

I have run this range of tiller engines for many years. This is what is important to me:

EFI – once I got an EFI, I realized I will never go back to carbs, no comparison

No Smoke – I can not tolerate any kind of fumes and sitting back by a tiller makes this a big concern for me. 4-stroke engines do not have many fumes (don’t know about e-tecs)

Vibration – the more cylinders the smoother the engine, if I am going to hang onto that handle all day I want little vibration, 4 pistons engines are usually smoother through the complete rpm range compared to 2 and 3 piston engines

Handle design – long handle and easy access to controls (shift lever should be on handle and easy to reach)

Makes little noise while trolling as I sometimes do that all day long.

Tilt and trim are a must have

Weight may be a concern, but the extra displacement of a heavier motor is really nice and safer for quickly getting up on plane. Heavier motor may also have stronger lower unit for when hitting floating branches and small ice chucks.

I have found that my current 4-stroke has had very little maintenance, a few hours a year. Just change oil/filter/lower unit oil/and plugs at $1.75 each.

Dave Gulczinski

PS: I have a Suzuki and am very happy with it, other motors may be just as good.

2Fishy4U

Dave,

one quick question. What brand of outboard do you prefer. The response is great but you forgot to tell us which brand of motor you prefer.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

2Fishy;
    Why don’t you like Mercs?

somann

I appreciate reading the information and opinions, thanks for taking the time to post

Dave G
    Rochester, MN

2Fishy4U

My current brand is a 4 year old 70hp Suzuki (the 60hp is the exact same motor). At the time I bought that motor it was the ONLY ONE with the features and HP that were important to me. Now, just about all the major manufactures have similar features on their mid-size motors. For this size motor, Suzuki just happened to be ahead of the others in 2002.

If I were looking today, I think any of the brands would work for me. I am not brand loyal.

Dave Gulczinski

jeff6771

It would depend how you youse it. Just running from one spot to the other id go with the 2-stroke. If you do alot of trolling , backtrolling or slipping it in and out of gear to hold your position you can’t beat a 4 stroke.

A couple of weekends ago i talked to a guy at everts he has a 2006 ranger tiller with a yamaha 60 on it he said he loves the motor. He said when he bought the boat it came with a e-tech and he yoused it on a weekend fishing trip brought it back to the dealer and traded in the motor for the yami he said he liked his old yamaha (2000) better than the e-tec and he loves his new yamaha even more that there efi.
    I think you need to buy what works best for you not what other people like.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Quote:

What is all this 4 stroke maintance about? I have a 90 honda now for 3 years and just doing the basics before putting it away and pulling it out are all I have done and I have never had a problem. Is there something else that I am missing?

Everytime I see that E-tec commerical I just laugh. False advertising about 4 strokes at its finest.

I switched to a four stroke last year and will never own another 2 stroke again. I have switched back to back trolling again and I run a 60 Yamaha EFI. The new tiller handle has the RPM button which I can get down to under 1.5 mph. I love the gas usage and smoothness. Starts right up in temps down to 5 above. Watch for the 3/3 warranty specials again this spring.

Todd_NE

I LOVE the looks of that Yamaha handle!!!! Merc has promised us one for awhile but I haven’t seen it yet.

I have a 50 Merc on an 18′ Alaskan, I sure wish I had a handle like that on it!

T

fisherman-j
    Northern MN

Quote:

Quote:

Everytime I see that E-tec commerical I just laugh. False advertising about 4 strokes at its finest.

I switched to a four stroke last year and will never own another 2 stroke again. I have switched back to back trolling again and I run a 60 Yamaha EFI. The new tiller handle has the RPM button which I can get down to under 1.5 mph. I love the gas usage and smoothness. Starts right up in temps down to 5 above. Watch for the 3/3 warranty specials again this spring.

I don’t know about the informercial, but with an E-Tec, there’s, 1) No 8-10 hour break-in, 2) about a three minute winterization, 3) signifigantly lighter than a 4-strokes and 4) no scheduled maintenance or oil changes for three years.

Can you still buy a carb or even a 2-stroke EFI? Or do these get put to rest after this year?

Downside of an E-Tec is they’re higher priced than some other models. All that being said, would I lose sleep buying an Opti, Yamaha HPDI or 4-stroke, Suzy 4-stroke or a Honda – nope. I’ll pass on the Verado though.

2Fishy4U

Gary,

I will send you a personal E Mail or have my kid do it. Apparently he has corresponded with you regarding other mechanic issues (i.e. GM Trucks).

There is no sense in being overly opionated on this board as it always gets me in trouble.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I guess that I am in the minority on this subject.

I run a 50 Honda. I love it. It uses very little gas. Runs as quite as any thing I have seen. Many times I have pull up to the dock and ran to my truck, leaving the motor running only to come back and get asked is that motor running. I say “yes” most people can not believe it until I get in and rev it up. The look I get is jaw dropping. I have heard that Honda’s are hard starting in cold weather, I have never have a problem.

As for the maintenance issue, I agree with Derek. I change oil, filter, gas filter, plugs, and lower unit oil every fall. Total time less than one hour.

No matter what you get you should be happy as I really do not think that there are bad motors in this class.

Ron

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Quote:

Gary,

I will send you a personal E Mail or have my kid do it. Apparently he has corresponded with you regarding other mechanic issues (i.e. GM Trucks).

Thanks!
    And your son has been a HUGE help with me on some technical questions with Chevys. He knows his stuff!

2Fishy4U

Unfortunately you forgot to provide any facts regarding the E-Tec or your opposition to the motor. So I will run a few pass you and you can tell me if I am wrong.

Without providing any facts I guess your only non-helpful comment was you don’t like there promo.

It would help if you would provide a few specifics on why you don’t like the E-Tec.

The E-Tec in 2006 offered a 7 year non-depreciating warranty. No other outboard even comes close.

The E-Tec is faster out of the hole and faster on top end.
    The hole shots are not even close when compared to the four strokes, nor is top end.

The E-Tec has few moving parts, perhaps a dozen or so, the four strokes about 200. Apparently, you prefer the latter.

The E-Tec causes less pollution, that simple, and certified by US and Foreign governments.

The E-Tec requires little maintenance, albeit the four strokes are not that bad.

There are only a few independent tests, but you should read them. In all cases the E-Tec places number 1 0r 2. The closest competitors are Suziki and Yamaha; Merc almost always finishes last.

On the less positive note the E-Tec is simply not as quite as a Suziki or Yamaha. Idling speed is about the same.

Finally, the E-Tec is manufactured in Sturdivant, WI. Unlike Merc, the plant provides jobs for Americans.

Now, what is your problem with E-Tec.

A few other notes. Why this post was moved I have no idea, but suspect we would have gotten more opinions if it would have stayed on the General Discussion Board.

Gary, thanks for your comments about the kid, and I hope he has been helpful regarding Chevy’s.

somann

Thanks again for the input, I am new here and didn’t know what kind of response if any I would get to this question. Its always good to hear both sides. I came in with a bias toward 4 strokes, not due to lack of confidence in 2 strokes, but I just like the idea 4 strokes for alot of the same reasons that the pro-4 stroke folks here are talking about. I just didn’t know alot about the E-tech’s and wanted more input.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

Finally, the E-Tec is manufactured in Sturdivant, WI. Unlike Merc, the plant provides jobs for Americans.

2fishy4U you may want to click here . Fon du lac is in Wisconsin.

Todd, that sweet running Merc tiller you referred to was made by Yamaha based on the years you referenced.

Just want to keep the playing field level.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

A few other notes. Why this post was moved I have no idea, but suspect we would have gotten more opinions if it would have stayed on the General Discussion Board.

The main reason this thread was moved was:
    This subject deals with fishing gear: motors, boats, rods, reels, lines etc. So it should go into the Outdoor Gear Forums. Not for any other reason.

I will not try and answer for Derek. My problem is with the E-tec commercial. You know the one with the guy trying to backing the boat on the trailer into the water about 5 times, two guys sitting and watching. With all the time 4 strokes spend in the shop for maintenance Being said. Sorry I have no problem with any brand of motors but every motor needs some maintenance. Even IF it means changing lower unit grease.
    Ron

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Correct Ron this toppic is about outdoor gear so that is where it belongs. Also you can still find this topic in the General Discussion Forum here so someone looking there will still find this post.

Quote:

Quote:

The main reason this thread was moved was:
    This subject deals with fishing gear: motors, boats, rods, reels, lines etc. So it should go into the Outdoor Gear Forums. Not for any other reason.

jeff6771

I believe you can still buy a carb 2 stroke. I don’t think anyone said they didn’t like they e-tech they are saying that for fishing applications they perfer a fourstoke.From all the tests and comparisions i have read the numbers on the holeshot,topspeed and fuel economy are so close it would be hard to tell the diffrence under every day use.I will give up 1 to 2 mph and 1/2 to 1 second in hole shot to have a 4 stroke because for me it works better for the way i like to fish.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

The E-tec commercial is ridiculous. Like Ron stated, the commercial leads one to think your 4-stoke is going to be in the shop every weekend.. At-least that’s how I viewed it. I have no experience with an E-tec. I have never said anything bad about them. I was merely making an opinion on their commercial.

My 2006 Yamaha came with a 6 year, non-deprecating, fully transferable warranty.

But I do know ALL Yamaha outboards sold in the U.S are built and assembled in California.

I’ll try to make sure ALL my future opinions are “helpful”

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I have a 16 1/2 foot Lund, max HP for my boat is a 90HP currently I have a 40HP Evinrude 2 stroke on the back. Eventually I would like to upgrade to a 90HP, if money was not an issue I would be tempted to go with a 90HP E-Tec but with an $8000 price tag I can not justify it. I am keeping an eye out for a used 90HP 2 stroke Yamaha, I missed a heck of a deal on one not to long ago a 2003 with 30 hours on it for $3700. I also plan on getting a 4 stroke Yamaha T8 kicker for trolling.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.