What are people looking for in a Walleye Rod?

• High_Cap
    St. Paul MN

About two years ago I cameup with a new Walleye rod just for Lindy Riging and thus far it has been a unbelievable rod. It is light, strong and sensitive. It is 7′ or 7 1/2′ fast action now foregrip, the whole works.

But I being the person I am want more feedback from people to create the ultimate walleye rod.

Please let me know so I can start building a little eariler this year.

John

High_Cap
    St. Paul MN

This is what people like or dislike about there current rod(s). Or suggestions for new ideas and builds.

Thanks

jhalfen

I think the “ultimate” walleye rod would be strongly influenced by what technique you use most often.

Your needs will be different if you gravitate towards vertical jigging, pitching jigs to the shallows, live bait rigging, slip bobbering, pulling spinners, etc…

I have favorite rod styles (lengths, powers, actions) for all of these techniques.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Great answer Jason!

High_Cap
    St. Paul MN

Sorry I forgot to mention, Lindy rigging suggestions.

Vertical/snap jigging suggestions

What do you want to see.

I have over 20 Walleye rods set up techniquie specific but I just want some more feedback from some of the people here, so I can improve my rods.

jhalfen

For rigging I tend to favor a longer rod that can move lots of line during a hookset. My rigging rods are 7’6, medium light power since I tend to use superlines for my main line and I need a little shock absorption from the rod, and fast action so I can read the tip.

Vertical jigging I prefer shorter 6’3 or even 6’0 rods, medium power, fast or extra fast action.

catmando
    wis

For rigging i like a 7fter or maybe 7ft 3 inch would be perfect. fast action. but not to fast in the tip want some give their.medium light i guess. oh a short fore grip above reel so you can touch blank with your finger. blank exprosed reel seat would be great.plus a a medium one for heavier weights and bigger baits. vertical snap jigging hmmm hw about a 6 ft medium baitcater

High_Cap
    St. Paul MN

How about what you have not seen on a rod, that you would like to see. A new product idea. All my lindy rods rods have no foregrip and a special reel seat to make up for the lost handle.

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

I want the reel seat to be convex and fit up into my palm rather than lie flat and not have my entire palm touching it. The rigging rod would need to be a 7’6″ – 8′ and be in a medium light to medium, fast action.

If you are looking for a tester I would sure PM you my address

Logan
    Big Lake, MN

My favorite walleye rod has either a 19″ eye or a 29″ on the other end of it!!

catmando
    wis

This man has a dream….. a real nice top end rod for no more than 125.00 bucks.

High_Cap
    St. Paul MN

Alright $125 I’ll see what I can come up with.

I have built some of the better rods for $140. I am a fan of quality with in reason…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.