2 man flip over ?

• big_g
    Isle, MN

I am going to be purchasing a 2 man flip over house. What do you feel is the best one out there. I am looking for durability, fishability and portability, in that order. I will be towing with either a snowmobile or a 4 wheeler. Also looking for one, where you can store gear in the sled when folded down, if that makes any sense. Thanks.

big g

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

I’ve been fishing out of a trap or about 5 years now. It’s held up very well. Other then the hole in the door. (Don’t let a hot lantern rest on the fabric. )

I would suggest one to anyone. I have looked at the new ones and they are MUCH nicer than what I have. (Wish I could ware mine out so the boss will sign off on a new one. )

Good luck

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Check out the frabil trekker…that’s what I have. I really love clam products, but could not afford to put out 400+ bucks for a 2 man shanty. I payed 299.99 for mine at Gander and its awesome. Can fit all my gear including 4-5 five gallon buckets, minnow bucket, heater, flasher, camera, auger and spud. not to mention it comes with the MSS (moduler seating system) which are really comfortable, sliding and removing seats. Its really a great shanty and a heck of a bang for your buck. Oh yeah, Its pretty light too. I think its 74 lbs, but w/o the seats, its probably more like 55…
    heres a link
    Frabill Trekker

phishirman
    Madison, WI

fish trap yukon comfy, roomy, durable, not too heavy for 1 guy to throw in the back of the pick up. Make sure to get a cover and runners!!!

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

I love my Otter
    all my freinds sold their fishtraps and bought Otters
    deeper sled ,heaver canvas smother poles
    I wouls suggest Hyfax runners no mater what brand you chose

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

You cant beat todays Fish Traps.

thegun
    mn

Get an OTTER!

camren
    Minnesoat, Hopkins

Hey Big G
    My $.02 and a few coments. I have a Rover 2.0 and love it (wish the shell material was tuffer). The two doors are nice but extra work keeping the zippers clean and functional. But the biggest comment I get is the bench seat. Most people shy away from the bench seat saying it takes up to much room, but it is awsome having the extra seat for setting tackel and stuff. And due to the bench it dose not have cross bars (the short way)so you can lay anything long into the sled. I would sugest one that you can stand up in, makes it much easier for getting in and out of the doors. I have a flasher, camera, bait bucket, 3 tip ups, radio, bunch of tackel, chisle, augar, lantern, 5-gal buckets, ect, ect. plus one extra persone and their gear and have plenty of room. So the house starts out at 75lb and ends up ??? to much. So the features that I like are:
    5 windows for good light, closeable for spearing. which it also works good for.
    2 doors,
    bench seat,
    standing room,
    access window to sled when closed up,
    All of the fun of getting out on the ice.
    Good luck with your purchase.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I would check out the Fish Traps and the Otters. Great products.
    Thanks, Bill

big_g
    Isle, MN

Thanks for the suggestions and help guys. Look for me at GTG in my new toy !!!

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Quote:

So the house starts out at 75lb and ends up ??? to much.

I’m sure it doubles with how much gear I put in there but I’m 15 years old, 5’7″ and 155 lbs..and I can haul it pretty good over snow, and I had to drag it 4 blocks over concrete yesterday …That was a chore, but I did it. I can load it into the back of my dads ford F-150 with all the gear including seats, by myself. I have no Idea how much it weighs loaded, but you’d have to be pretty scrawny to not be able to haul it around

Good luck with the new shanty big G If I had the extra cash, I would have a fish trap as well.

yellowjacket
    Byron, MN

Canvas is soooo much better on the otters, although the X2 is catching up. I liked my Frabill, and have owned others as well…..with that being said

1. Otter
    2. Clam X2
    3. Frabill

Just my humble opinion…..i will be getting an Otter two man soon, then I’ll be set with the shacks I have.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.