Question for kicker owners

• neverhome
    Anoka county

I own a yahmaha T8 in a tiller model. Im thinking of buying a panther motor conector so I can use my wheel to control the boat while trolling cranks and boards. I will also buy a trollmaster if I go that road. Should I do it? Will it give me better boat control in stronger wind/wave since the big motor will be used as a rutter. Any pros or cons people have with this setup. It just seems like it would be nice to have that option of sitting in the captains chair or standing near the wheel. Also, what panther motor conector do others use and should I get.

I have a 1800 lund explorer with a 150 if that is needed.

Thanks

ted-merdan

Here’s my suggestion:

Buy a connecting rod to tie your tiller T8 onto your main engine. This will allow you to steer the kicker from the wheel. Then add the trollmaster for speed and you are set.

My reasons for this are two fold: 1) It is much more cost effective to use the tie bar(less than $50) and a simple mechanical install and 2) there is one less item to fail or give you a hastle while you are enjoying your time on the water.

I have not heard good things about this panther unit but all of my data is second hand so take that accordingly

Steering both engines together gives you better control in wind and waves – I run 20 or 21′ Rangers depending on the year and have set up all my boats this way for many years.

Good luck and again it’s just my opinion.

ted

http://www.tedmerdan.com

tmskulski
    Hager City WI

I personally do not like having them attached because in really strong winds you can not counter steer but that depends on size of boat to and how strong of winds you fish in verses fun fishing or tournament fishing.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

i run a 2025 prov LE and have my t8 tiller mounted on the starboard side. this is because i can run the tiller right from the captains chair. i do have the connecting rod that i do use from time to time. the connecting rod also holds the t8 from slapping side to side while running in rough water. most people mount the kicker on the port side, i think that is the only way to mount it if you have the remote setup. everybody fishes differently,so try it a few different ways and see what works best fro you………………tom fellegy

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

One thing I will add here. To me it all depends on what your trolling runs are going to be like. If your on an open body of water and just trolling a break line or a flat it would be fine. If you plan to fish in smaller to med. size rivers and trolling wingdams, sharp points, etc. it can be hard to steer because most of the time you cant steer quick enough or cant turn and far as you would like.

Just my .02 worth

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Hasn’t been brought up but if you have an electric trolling motor on the bow, just set your tiller so the boat travels in a straight line and make your course adjustments with the electric. Much more responsive control with half the headache…

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

NeverHome, I ran the exact setup you are speaking of last year, and loved it. I will do it that way on every boat I own from here on out. The Panther Rod has adjustments to fine tune the attitude of the motors for proper allignment. It is also a quick release, so if you want to control from the back of the boat, you can. As was said above, the rod keeps the motors from slapping together while trailering or on rough water. I can raise and lower my big motor all while attached to the kicker. The ball joint swivels. For my long trolling runs on big water, the Troll Master Pro 2 is hands down a winner. You can fine tune the motor’s RPM’s digitally, one “Tick” at a time. You can ALWAYS find the sweet spot in your troll speed that way. When you get a fish on, you simply push the “Idle” button. When ready to resume, you push the blue button once more, and it brings you back to that exact setting. If you need to correct or turn around, the light blue button on the top is MFT for “Momentary Full Throttle”. As long as you hold it down, it goes to WOT, idling back down when released.
    When pulling boards or lead on Mille Lacs or Pepin, it sure is nice to be at the wheel!
    If you have any questions on installation or operation, feel free to give me a whistle.

timmy

I have the panther steering unit in my Tyee and almost never use it. It takes practice to get proficient with it and newbies in the boat usually struggle – oversteering one way then the other…and so on. I usually have the kicker linked to the main motor and steer with the wheel – and then everybody in the boat can take turns steering when need be – without needing a phd in panther steering to do so. I just happened to mount the panther steer unit so that the steering rod required is the same length as needed to steer with the main engine . So when switching, all I need to do is unhook and rehook – seconds to switch .

Trollmaster will be installed this spring….always another toy I “need”

Tim

neverhome
    Anoka county

Thanks everyone for the info. I do plan on using the steering rod not the auto steer. Thanks

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.