Depth Finders

• goldenpondguy
    Lakeville, MN

I’m Looking for some advice. I need to purchace a portable depth finder. I am on a tight budget so it needs to be inexpensive, but I don’t want to waste my money on crap. Small is also a consideration as I need to pack it into the BWCA for a canoe fishing trip. I really don’t know to much about them so any information or related web sites would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I’d get a Vexilar flasher. Same set up as used for ice fishing. You can get a floating trasducer or one that has a suction cup mount.

You may want to check the pawn shops for a used one..??

Jon J.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I would second what Jon said. I have been using mine in the boat for awhile now. I just get a little water in the bottom of the boat and shoot threw the aluminium hull.

92python
    Minnetonka, MN

If you can find a used Zercom flasher in good condition it would do what you want it to. They work like a Vexilar but have about 20 times the battery life. This would be nice when going to the BWCA.

tgif

If you have a trolling motor a puck transducer can be mounted on it with a pipe clamp thing-a-ma-jigger. Works great….not a good as universal sonar, but gives you what your looking for….depth. I had a vexilar flasher set up like that…you can ever leave the vexilar in an ice-fishing mount and use the same battery. Hope this helps. TGIF

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.