Batteries with a 12 volt trolling motor

• xcleox
    Wisconsin

Can you run a 12 volt trolling motor off two batteries to extend your power. I see with 24 volt system you hook up the neg to the neg post of the first battery and the pos to the pos post of the 2nd battery with another cable connection the two batteries pos and neg posts. If you can use two batteries what is the best way to hook them up?

kwkfsh

Running 2 batts. will give at least twice the run time. The absolute best way to hook them up is to use the Marinco plug system. With this you just run the wires from each batt to the boat mounted plugin, then on the trolling motor plug you just insert the black wire into the neg hole and the red into either the 12V or 24V hole and the plug makes all the connections. If you get the red charging plug and put it on a charger it will charge either a 12 or 24V setup right thru the plug. Also if you ever go to a 24V motor all you have to do is take one wire out of the 12V hole and put it in the 24V hole and you are ready to go.

Pax
    Woodville, WI

The easiest way is to just run them in a series. Red to red to plug, black to black to plug, etc ——-Pax

dinosaur
    South St. Paul, Mn.

Hooking the batteries up this way is called parallel.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Speaking from experience, parrallel is the way to go. No extra cost in switches, if you don’t have an on-board charger, you can charge both batteries at the same time.
    Also speaking from experience, be very careful when connecting the batteries together. I was thinking about fishing when I installed the batteries this spring. My wife, who was in the house thought I was welding in the garage It’s surprising how fast your mind focuses on what you are doing when you connect them up wrong!

gillsandspecks
    Hiawatha, Iowa

Years ago I hooked two 12 volt Batteries to gether {paralle] & it seemed that the first battery always drew down first & charged first thus wearing that battery out alot faster then the second. I strongly recomend tying two 6 volt batteries [240 amps apiece] together and completing a 12 volt system. I can run forever on these two thick plated batteries. {John}

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.