Yamaha 200HPDI vs. 200 4stroke EFI?

• hans1159
    Champlin, MN

I have been looking at the G3 185F’s a lot lately (Damn them for getting rid of the XT) and many have the 4 strokes which I have yet to hear anything bad about. If I was to come across one with a 200 HPDI, would that be a bad thing? Is that a motor that I won’t feel scared about owning in 10-15 years?

Thanks for your opinions,
    Craig

TazTyke
    Central Minnesota

I have a Four Stroke Yammy and I love it. I have never heard anyone complain or say one bad thng about the 4-strokes. I was talking to a dealer friend of mine about the HDPI and told him that I debated about putting one of those on my boat. He put that HDPI on his and he said he wishes he had done the 4-stroke. I didn’t ask him why he made that kind of statement. Lucky for him he can make that change on his next demo unit next year. I have never heard any feedback on the HDPI other then that. What I can tell you is that you can’t go wrong with the 4-stroke. Happy shopping!

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

They are both great motors. I too will never own another two-stroke. The HPDI like all direct injection motors are very loud. They burn alot of oil and drink alot of gas.

The new EFI 4-strokes are very fuel effecient and start great in cold weather.

ted-merdan

If your choice is between the HPDI and EFI/Carb I would definitely select the HPDI – I ran a 200 Vmax HPDI (20″) shaft for 2 years and put over 450 hours on the engine without a single mechanical failure. If you don’t go four stroke I would go the HPDI route. FYI – the main difference between the Vmax HPDI and the HPDI is the Vmax is a 20″ shaft that is geared towards the bass freshwater market. The straight HPDI is the 25″ and 30″ shafts geared towards the inshore/offshore saltwater and walleye markets.

Good luck with your search and contact me if you have furher questions!

ted
    [email protected]

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Check out yamaha’s preformance bulletins you should be able to figure out a little more.

Like this link is probably fairly close to what you’re looking at, can’t find a big 4 stroke though….

Click this Link

You can start here too http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/products/perfbull.aspx

You may be able to find a similar boat with more motors tested on it to give you a good idea what you are in for.

3rd edit

Like compare the link above to the this link, similar boats, very similar in weight. Though propping the boats may change this data a lot. http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/products/otb/bulletins/bulletin_4stroke_hpv6_pro_alm-tourpro185cs-f200txrd.pdf

Me? I’d go with the hpdi motor myslef, I’ll take preformance over a little gas and oil anyday.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Four stroke, quiet, idles/trolls smooth, and no stink.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Ted, correct me if I am wrong here, but doesn’t the 250 HPDI, get better gas mileage than the 250 four stroke?

I love the four stroke 250 on the back of the ranger…fast, bulletproof motor…!!!!

ted-merdan

Don’t know on that one Luke as the 250 HPDI was dropped from YAMAHA’s lineup in 2006 so only 2005 were both motors available. Typically on the big four strokes the mileage gains are when the engine is operating below 4K RPM’s and then as you go above that range the mileage curves are similiar.

ted

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

Luke, I believe you are right. They had a shootout in the bass & Walleye boat magazine two months ago. The two strokes beat the four strokes in every category except the noise level. Correct me if I’m wrong…..And if I am its by very little.
    Buy what you think is best. Thats all you’ll ever be happy with. I would get the hpdi. And I would bet the hpdi will get better milage, consume less oil, and require less maintenence. My opinion, and its only worth .02

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Yep Ted, that is what I thought..thanks for clarification

Eronn- that is where I was getting my info from…but I love my motor..so quiet…and it is super, super fast…any yamaha is a good choice!!

I have gotten 61 gps on three different gps’s in my boat. two guys and a 1/2 tank of gas, with full tournament gear/load. That is smoking for a walleye boat.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

That is smoking for a walleye boat.

That is smokin’ for ANY boat!

gregmerz
    Minnetonka & Remer, MN

The 200 HPDI is one of the most reliable outboards Yamaha has ever put out. I owned one for three seasons and it is both fuel and oil efficient and reliable as hell. I owned a 150 HPDI V-Max prior to that. These motors start first time, all the time. Lastly, holeshot or top end the 200 HPDI beats the four-stroke every time.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Hole shot is a lot better with the HPDI’s.., but I will put my yammy four stroke up against any 250 HPDI for top end any day…

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Both great motors and haven’t heard bad on either. Here is the 2 stroke info on a 1950 skeeter. the 4 stroke info here on same boat. Looks like better fuel mileage with the 4 stroke by .8 mpg at 3500rpm. speed was better with the 2 stroke by 1.2 mph. I run a 250 4 stroke and love it. My buddy has the 200 hpdi and he loves it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.