Lawrance X-51 ??

• woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

Need to replace my locator. Only have a jon boat. Anyone have any complaints about the X-51. Need to stay under $200.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I do….The X-51 is a bottom finder only……I have had it since last fall and I’ve had it in every manual mode that it could possibly be in…It just doesn’t mark fish worth a hoot…..If you turn on the locator and use the auto features with the fish symbol there are fish all over the place…put it in manual mode …beef up the sensitivity and the grey line …the fish that were there just a second ago are gone….It also doesn’t handle the sun very well either…I’ve taken one back because the buttons quit working and they said it looks like the board fried out….

Looks like I’ll be moving to a Garmin Product….

If you’d like to save a couple of bucks and are looking for a Lowrance X-51 I’ve got one , includes speed and temp. and also I have a portable unit for it too…

woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

OK, thats all I needed to hear. Looks like I will go with the Garmin 240 having used the search feature on this site and read prior posts. No one has had anything bad to say about it. Sounds like it should do everything that it is supposed to.
    question: How will this unit stand up to the sun and the rain?

woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

Just went shopping. Garmin 240 transom mount temp / speed
    Cabelas = 349
    Bass Pro = 274 + rebate for 25.00 through April 30

Anyone know the price of Gander Mountain?
    How long does it take to get someting like this form Bass Pro?
    What do you all think of the reconditioned units?

woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

Sorry, one more question: How does the 240 work in very shallow water, say 1 to 5 feet?

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

You should check out the Eagle Fishmark 320, much better picture than the Garmin and $80.00 less money. The Garmin unit was a great model one year ago, but technology has surpassed it. Just my two cents.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Do any of the brands mark fish well in the river?

I’ve had a Lowrance, follwed by a humminbird, then an Eagle, and now another Humminbird. Not a one of them would actually mark fish with the “fish symbols” on, I got the same condition you described (fish symbols all over the place). In Manual mode, I could get decent to good readings in areas with no current, but in turbulent water, it always looks like a jumbled mess.

Just curious if anyone has ever gotten any brand to actually “mark fish” well on the river.

I was bummed hearing about the X-51. I really liked the idea of the flasher feature for fishing in shallow water.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I tried to use my X-51 thru the ice with the flasher mode on . It didn’t work very good. The grey coloring made it very hard to read, and the space on the flasher that covers the area fished is very small , making iteven harder to mark fish…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.