Spiining reel options

• KirtH
    Lakeville

I have been using Shimano reels for awhile, I have been looking into other models, like the Okuma Inspira, Pflueger President and the Mitchell gold series.

Any thoughts on the above

The Shimalnos have been good but I was wondering what everyone else uses

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Shimano, just Shimano. I have had a few Diawa reels in the past but I have replaced them all with Stradics and Sustains. Can’t justify a Stella at this point but maybe if the price is right…

jigs

For the money, there are a lot of quality reels in the 60 80 dollar range such as the pflueger president and medalist among others. If you are going to buy a reel in that price range I would recommend these two reels very strongly as they have performed great for me. However if you can make the jump in price to the stradic or sustain you will have a reel that will last you for many years and is a top of the line product. No matter which way you go, i think you’ll be happy.

jbennett1013
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I second shimano and pretty much only shimano. Symetres, Stradics, and Sustains. For me Stradics are my personal favorite because of function and price. I have a couple of the pfluegers you mentioned they are ok reels. Very smooth and priced right. I just do not like them as much as my stradics.

shayla

Shimano or the upper-end Daiwas are good reels. Every single Pflueger I have owned has an inherant problem…the anti-reverse does not work on a bone-jarring hookset! It always gives, allowing the reel to spin backwards and leave me with a fish on one end of the line and a tangled mess on the other…not good!

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

I have had a lot of trouble finding a good spinning reel. One that will hold up. I’ve owned several Shimanos, from Spirexes up to Stradics, numerous Quantums and Daiwas. I can break a Shimano in a week, a Quantum in a day (I’m serious), but my Daiwa Capricorn has lasted me a few years and is still going. I think if you buy a Daiwa Hardbodyz you will be alright. The Capricorn is one, and Cabelas actually private labels it and it’s on sale for $99 right now. Normally $119 and I think the Capricorn may normally

be $129.

Just an FYI, the application I use my spinning reels in is

skipping docks for bass where I’m usually using braid in the 20-45lb test range on a 6′ MH spinning rod. Superman hooksets on a short braided line spells death for most spinning reels. My Daiwa seemes to survive. I have a Stradic I use for walleye jigging and it has survived but I can tell there is some gear wear there but not enough to overcome the light line jigging I use it for. I guess what I’m saying here is that if you don’t use their reels as a bass dock rod or don’t throw spinnerbaits and cranks with them you’ll probably be alright with Shimanos and other reels.

Another footnote: I asked my reel repair guy (20 years in the business) what spinning reels he believed to be the best. He told me high end Shimanos like the Stradic. When I told him that I rip thos apart he remembered that the Daiwa Tournement SS were probably the best reels he’s

ever seen from a strength standpoint. So I went out to look at them since the still make them and I could tell they were built like a tank but no infinite antireverse (that’s not true anymore) and they wobbled like the reels of old. On a hunch I tried the Capricorn because it was

Daiwa and they were advertising the low flex body and heavy duty gears. It’s worked for me.

To sum it up most guys will say Shimano as you can already see and I’m sure they have woked great. I love Shimanos, it’s my favorite baitcaster bar none. But for spinning reels that are smooth as silk and built like a tank: DAIWA!!!

Todd_NE

Shimano or Daiwa for me, I have a hard time wearing them out and they are a pleasure to use.

I have also been impressed with the MicroLite’s from Bass Pro. Parson’s and Kavajecz recommend them and I bought one last year, it was as good at the end of the year as the beginning. To qualify – PK say they get about 2 years out of them – but hey they are only $40 if you don’t get them on sale.

Todd

elesar

I’ve used an Okuma metalloid for years for smallies and couldn’t be happier, good reel at a great price. I haven’t used the Inspira model so I can’t vouch for that, but the metalloid has been bullet-proof for me.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I am going the other way. Tournament fishing and guiding, I use a number of reels. I like reels with drags on the back for two reasons. I can adjust the drag without touching the line when a fish is on, as opposed to front drag systems.
    Secondly, I can reach over and adjust the drag when a client or co-angler has a fish on.
    That being said, I have been using the Gander Guide Series reels. They are very inexpensive, but very durable. I am going on my third year on this fleet. And they get a workout year around. They are deadbolts, and have very good drags. They get two from this camp.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve had a few Pfluegers that have been pretty solid. I stay away from spinning gear as much as possible because I really don’t like it, but I have a Trion and a President that are nice reels. For the price, the President is phenomenal.

I had a Trion for at least 5 years that developed a problem with a bearing. I sent it in to Pflueger for repair and they replaced the entire reel at no charge. So, they definitely stand behind their products, too, which is a plus.

shaley
    Milford IA

I have a Shimano Sedona thats pushing 12 years old and still one of my go to reels. 90% of my reels are Shimano or Mitchel Advocet Golds, been flawless so far. Havent used any of the other brands in over 15 years so cant say about them.

sjh62
    On the border-Trempealeau

I’d love to have all Stellas .

I still have 3 Stradics from the early 90s.They replaced the 2 Biomasters that reside on the bottom of Lake Michigan,about 5 miles out .

One problem I have seen with the Symetres is they tend to”stick”when they get wet.Only in forward,not reverse.

Kind of wonder how to resolve this issue,found 3 that do it.Maybe totally disassemble,and relube with Teflon lube?It can be annoying when fishing in the rain,it feels like the reel is going to sieze-up.

Great reels otherwise

KirtH
    Lakeville

I tink I might try the Okuma Alumina

NKT
    Louisa County, Iowa

Quote:

Shimano, just Shimano.

unless you’ve still got any Cardinal 4’s.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

For the money I think Pflueger makes the best spinning reels.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

I’m stuck on Shimano.

wheel10
    madison, wi

Pflueger was bought out by shakespeare a couple of years ago and revamped their line-up. I bought a president by Pflueger last year and has been on my go to rod since. I used to buy only shimano. Nothing too high end, symetre and sahara, and while they are good reels the president just gets one more star. Ultra smooth. Go and try one. The handle just seems to have a perfect center of balance when it spins, something I always felt lacked in the shimano’s. Smooth, smooth, smooth. I was never to impressed with the Mitchell just on dry runs at the store.

Summed up, at least try a Pflueger before you decide. Everyone has their preference. mike

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.