Two Blade Power Augers

• tipupsonly
    Western Wisconsin

Looking into getting a new auger finally and I definetly want a two-blade. Looking for dependability, quality, and drilling speed. Any suggestions on what the best auger would be or what ones to stay away from. I’m leaning pretty heavily towards Eskimo right now. Keeping price in mind too; looking for something reasonably priced.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

I can say that I love my Strikemaster. I have owned one for over 10 years now, the Lazer two blade that is. I run a ten inch hole and can honestly say nothing I have had running next to me is faster or lighter. I would say most years I punch over 500 holes, possibly over a 1000, and never had any problems except for wrecking the recoil spring two years ago, user error.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Although strikemaster lazermag X-press is my #1 pick,
    Eskimo makes a good auger. I owned a mako for years. It was my first auger and could cut right behind a lazermag. Not as fast as a lazermag(what is besides a nilsmaster).
    If you’re on a (wife won’t let me)budget, then I’d recommend the eskimo mako. It really is a great auger for the price. You won’t be disappointed with it.
    We don’t have big ice yet, so maybe save up an extra hundred a grab a lazermag X-press. Either way, they both crush ice quite nicely

skineboy
    Red Wing, MN

I just picked up a 10″ Eskimo Mako for $250 at Cabelas.com. Tough deal to pass up. Now we just need some ice.

~SKINEBOY~

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I would stay away from Eskimo augers..they have good deals on them right now cause they are closing out on them…the auger does not have enough power! It will work, but i think you would be happier with a Tecumsah engine…either strikemaster( which is the best auger around IMO) or Jiffy….both Tecumsah engines except they have different gearing and rotation of the auger! Jiffy spins counter clock wise and Strikemaster spins clock wise. I would also look at getting a auger that shaves the ice vs a chipper blade. A chipper blade will be more agressive when drilling and has a better chance of binding more often when you get close to finishing your hole.. The shaving blade will be more smooth and less binding!! No matter which auger you choose just make sure it has a Tecumsah engine on it!! Also Strikemaster is located in Big lake minn…if your ever in the area stop by and ask for a demonstration…Also Strikemasters customer service is second to none…if you should ever have a problem with the auger they will do just about anything to make sure your completely 100% satisfied before you leave the store!!!
    Also if you do some searching about the strikemaster here you will find nothing but positive things about the company and the augers….
    I think you can tell which auger I use!!!!

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

I own one of the original Strikemaster Lazers when they came out 12 or 13 years ago. It has never missed a beat, it always starts. I don’t have much experience with other brands but will buy another Strikemaster when the time comes. IMO it’s bullet proof.

Also, take a look in the classifieds. There are some used ones for sale that might save you a few bucks.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Wow, I just got an education. When I had a Mako, they had the 2 horse tecumseh motor and was geared the same as a strikemaster. Tehy used to be almost the same auger in terms of gears and engines.
    I see times have changed. I have no experience with the new eskimo’s. However if you run across an old one…..

shaley
    Milford IA

I’m with most the rest hard to beat a StrikeMaster.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I switched over to Jiffy this year because of the blade system the new Stealth STX uses. I prefer the chipper blade over the stainless because of binding. The stainless blades shave the ice causing it to pile up in the hole. In thick ice conditions, this can cause the drill to stop. Jiffy also has the best gearbox for torque and the best warranty on on the market. The Stealth STX also has D-icer Armor. This keeps ice from freezing to the blades between drilling.

http://www.jiffyonice.com

tipupsonly
    Western Wisconsin

Well the reason i liked the Eskimo was because a buddy of mine has one that cuts amazing. However, he bought it used and it is in mint condition but prolly 8-9 years old im guessing. So a lot has probably changed since then. Im sketchy on the Jiffys because i know a couple people who have had some bad luck with them. But Cabelas does have the 10″ mako for $250…that is hard to pass up!

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

What kind of bad luck with the Jiffy? How come your looking for a 10 inch?

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

No matter what brand you’re looking at, I’d reconsider the 10 inch auger. Its nice to have that big hole, but it takes much longer to drill a 10. And if you’ve ever put one leg into a 10 inch hole up to your,… ahem “manhood”, you may consider a smaller bit. I fish with a 7 inch strikemaster because when I go on the ice, I pop holes til I find fish. A 10 inch would really slow me down, considering how slow, and heavy they are.

A 7 inch auger cuts into 154 square inches, while a 10 inch cuts into 314 square inches. That means the 10 inch is cutting twice the amount of the 7 inch. Therefore I’m punching twice as many holes with my 7 inch auger.

And comparing a 7 inch to an 8 inch: The 8 inch has to cut 25% more ice yet.
    Not many people realize this. But I know I enjoy fishing much more than drilling holes all day.
    Just something to consider.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

You’ll have less ice to scoop as well.. I would only recommend a 10 inch if you have a permanent house.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

My vote is for Strikemaster lazer mag. Just like butter. The size debate is interesting. I have never yet caught a fish that wouldn’t fit through an 8 inch hole. I suppose there is a first time but my buddy just traded his 10 inch jiffy because it was too heavy to pull around. I often still use my mora hand crank especially early ice.

cweber01

I have to agree about the size of the bit. I have a jiffy 3 hp, and it came with a 10 inch bit, but I replaced it with an 8. It’s still plenty big to fish and have your transducer in the hole at the same time. It also makes it a little lighter as well as cutting faster.

shaley
    Milford IA

I went from a chipper style blade to a Lazer. I have never had my Lazer bind up but my chipper one would alot when nearing the bottom of the hole. On my new auger I have both 10″ Chipper, 8″ Lazer, maybe I’ll test both and see what works best.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

You guys forgot about the 9″ Lazer blade, not to big and not to small just right……….

tipupsonly
    Western Wisconsin

Went with the 8″ strikemaster.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Quote:

Went with the 8″ strikemaster.

Just in time for cold

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I like chipper blades because you can easily sharpen them yourself and they dont dull easily. I have had Jiffy for many years and never replaced blades. I went from a standard 3 hp Jiffy 9 inch to a Stealth 2 hp Jiffy 8 inch and it has perfomed flawlessly for 2 seasons now.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.