keel gard

• cweber01

has anyone ever tried putting a keel guard on an aluminum boat?

sumofrog
    Sparta, Wi

I have a fiberglass bass boat and before you go out and spend $150 plus on a keel guard take a look at the do it yourself rhino liner from Menards. I spent $48 on a can and taped off the keel of my boat and applied it early this spring and I have been on rocks, metal, and stones without a scratch to the hull . Definately recomend that stuff, guess thats why they call it Rhino . I’m sure it’ll adhere to alluminum. Good luck.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Hey Sumo, great post. I’m curious to know if you noticed any drop in speed with the rhino lining. Did you use the textured stuff or is it smooth?

Thanks!

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Very, very interesting sumo….I too have some questions for ya. Is it the “Rhino” name? Or a knock off, like Herculiner or something like that? I’m also curious if it’s smooth or rough, and if you’re losing any speed because of it. I’ve got a Crestliner and the place I’ve been fishing quite a bit does have a gravel ramp, not good when I hear the scraping. Can’t wait to hear what you have to say.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Generally, a keel guard only covers the front portion of the keel, so when you are on plane, this part of the hull is not in the water. Thus, it should not affect the speed.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.