bending treble hooks

• cweber01

This is a question for all you guys trolling on the big pond…what are you guys using for hooks on your crank baits? I’ve been pulling Rapalas using 10 lb power pro and I’ve been having hook issues. I tried using a swivel and a leader of mono, but the baits don’t seem to run right that way. I have the drag fairly loose because I know you have to with the braided lines. Are the hooks from the factory just not very strong? They sure seem sharp. Does anyone make a extra strong treble hook?

big_g
    Isle, MN

I see on the In-Depth Outdoors promo, that James runs Blue Treble hooks…

big g

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

VMC makes a nice 2X and 3X, heck all the way up to 6X treble hooks…

(2X = 2 times as strong)
    (3X = 3 times as strong)

You can see BY CLICKING HERE…

(Just make sure to keep the “Inline Ring” quiet for a while… I have always wondered why hook mfgs didn’t make a treble that lays flat on the belly of a crank. Well, now they do!

cweber01

Post deleted by cweb

burbob
    Hastings,MN

Gamakatsu Wide Gap

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I use VMC chrome, they give off a nice flash. Also change your swivel to a snap clip.

sharkbait
    The mud puddle in western Ks

Any time I am using braid I only use long soft rods.Fiberglass or somithing like that.Cabelas Eglass rods work great.Don’t use good rods they have to much back bone and react to solidly.They also pull more hooks out.

cweber01

Quote:

I use VMC chrome, they give off a nice flash. Also change your swivel to a snap clip.

I was only using the swivel and mono to try to give myself some shock absorbtion…I do use a snap clip to attach the lure. Maybe I’d be better off trolling with mono

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Ah,, I see.. You want to use a blood knot for the superline-mono attachment. Also, some cranks come out of the box needing to be tuned. I get many Rapala baits that dont run true out of the box. And the lips seem to be so cheap nowdays, if you bang a good rock, it permanently bends the lip and the lure is junk at that point. This is what I like most about the Salmo lures, always run true and the lips are bullet proof.

cweber01

I’m always worried about those joining knots and their strength. Do you have any recommendations for softer trolling rods? I don’t want to spend a ton of money, but I see that Cabelas has one called e glass that is only 20$. Has anyone used them? Maybe I’d be better off spooling up with some 8 lb mono instead? I’m kind of new to the trolling deal, and have never tried mono. Is it hard to tell if the lure is working or not?

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I use the 8 foot St.Croix Premier Glass Trolling rods. Nice soft tip. I always use superline with these rods. They dont offer much sensitivity. But the slower softer action helps with the low stretch lines. Use the bait clicker on your linecouter is also helpful. Its a matter of personal preference and confidence, I need to always be feeling the bait and knowing its running properly so I never use mono anymore and I rarely miss fish. The only fish we miss are short biting fish or fish that hit the bait sideways.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

CWeb,

I don’t typically change my factory hooks. I have broke a few and straightened others at times due to using superlines. I switched to spiderwire stealth this year after trying fireline and power pro in years past. I can’t remember losing a single bait this fall, compared to the $150.00 worth the year before.

I run the St. Croix pro glass rods in 7′ med action. I believe this along with the loosened drag are both beneficial to hook ups on the nights when the fish are finicky. However, most nights up there the fish seem to hit like freight trains.

As far as running mono, I don’t believe you will have more success with it vs superlines. Likely it will cost you a large # of baits. At least if you fish any rocky areas.

I would be sure all your baits are in tune. This isn’t always easy to determine with only a few feet of line out. Key point you will see James make in his video presentation. Get on the water early enough to test run most/several of your goto baits to be sure they are running correctly. This can be done after dark, but you should be concentrating on catching fish at that time.

Lastly, I only run a snap clip on my superline, no swivel. I use the polomar knot to attach with. I also like to have a split ring on the nose of my baits. Not required, but some baits it does seem to add more action.

As with everything in fishing, I have my ways, others have theirs. None are right or wrong, some nights it works, others not so much and it’s time to help old ladies cross the road.

cweber01

I think I’ll just have to look at buying some softer action rods for trolling and make sure I don’t have the drag too tight.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

These guys have it right… light settings on the drags and soft tipped rods. Look for something with a moderate or med. moderate action. Anything with a X fast or Fast action will work poorly at best.

And as far as a tutorial on tuning cranks… I’ll be posting a complete “how to” flash video on monday evening. Be sure to check that out. It is one of the most crucial keys to success when trolling for cold water walleyes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.