Simultaneously Operating Console and Stern Sonars

• boone
    Woodbury, MN

Can I simultaneously operate a sonar unit on the console while operating one at the stern if both transducers are mounted on the transom or will they interfere with each other? Or could I just have one transducer and use some type of splitter to operate both graphs simultaneously? Also, if I wanted to swap these units so that at times the one graph would be at the console and the other graph at the stern and vice versa, could I do this and if so, what would I have to do? I’m looking at running the Lowrance 334C as my best graph and a cheaper monochrome for the graph I’m not using the most. Sometimes I’ll want the 334 at the console and at other times I’ll want it at the stern.

Thanks for your help. This boat rigging stuff gets a little confusing (and expensive).

Thanks,

Boone

rmartin
    United States

Depends on the transducer frequency of each. If they are the same or very close, you would get interference. If you tried to use a mismatched ducer, it probably would not work. You could run identical units off one ducer with a switch.

dautio

Unfortunately Lowrancenet does not let you share a transducer signal between two locators. Only pinpoint units will allow you to share transducers. I believe Motorguide/pinpoint own the patent for sharing transducer information between networked locators.

Dave

bbayerko
    Eagan MN

I stand corrected. Sorry Boone, I was under the impression they could.
    To avoid interference if you have both transducers mounted on the back, you can ‘stop charting’ on the unit you are not currently using, and enable it on the unit you are using at the time. That way, only one unit will be sending and receiving at a time.

The LowranceNet will allow you to share GPS data, and I assumed sonar as well. Sorry for the goose chase.

Later
    Beercooler

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

You can run two units at different frequencies, or you can run two units at the same frequency and adjust the ping rate on one unit in an effort to reduce interference. You’ll get some interference from the latter, but it tends to be tolerable. I would suggest mounting a ducer on the bow and one on the transom if possible, but I know that’s not always going to work. If you mount both on the transon, I think you should look to get two units that run at different frequencies if possible.

fireman731
    Miles, Iowa

If you are going to be moving the units a lot get RAM mounts, makes it a lot easier, could also try a switch to send the signal off a single transducer to either display.

DMan
    Long Lake IL.

I run two transducers next to each other mounted on the transom, I notice no problems. Except I still can’t catch fish! I run a 26C and a LMS 350 two inches apart. Go for it!

boone
    Woodbury, MN

I guess I might not really need to run both the console and stern graphs at the same time but sometimes I’ll want the Lowrance 334C on the console and the monochrome graph at the stern and vice versa. But I really will only need to have either the console or stern graph on at a time depending where I’m at in the boat. When I’m running the kicker I’ll want the 334C back there but if I’m running up the channel at night I’ll want the 334C on the console so I can see the GPS on that unit. It sounds like I can use one transducer and use a swith, or install two transducers on the transom. Can I use any Lowrance transducer with any Lowrance graph? How can I tell what transducers are compatible with what graphs? Are Eagle transducers compatible with Lowrance graphs and vice versa?

For the bow I plan to use a universal sonar in a Minnkota trolling motor. I assume the bow transducer and the transom transducer will be far enough apart (about 17′) so I won’t get any interference from them. I would plan to run the bow and stern graphs at the same time so the guy in the back of the boat can monitor the depths also.

Thanks Again,

Boone

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

Can I use any Lowrance transducer with any Lowrance graph? How can I tell what transducers are compatible with what graphs? Are Eagle transducers compatible with Lowrance graphs and vice versa?

Most of the new Lowrance units take the same transducers (blue connectors). The 334C takes blue connectors. Monochrome units that take the same ducers are the x125, x135, LMS-480, LCX-17M. The Lowrance units are not compatible with Eagle transducers (not the new units anyway).

Quote:

For the bow I plan to use a universal sonar in a Minnkota trolling motor. I assume the bow transducer and the transom transducer will be far enough apart (about 17′) so I won’t get any interference from them.

You’ll begin to get some interference at about 25 feet, give or take. It may be minimal or tolerable.

scottsteil
    Central MN

As sonar units get better you will see this improve. Garmin has the cabability of running several units off the same transducer using the GSD20 Black Box. That is a very nice feature. I am sure you will see others follow suit one way or another.

I would imagine one day we will see what you are looking at is similar to the monitor your computer. The harddrive will be tucked in some compartment in your boat. It appears most companies are going that way now with all the “additional” features you can add on to your unit.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.